A question to all Farmers

Hello to all Farmers,

I am about to start asking around some local farms where I live in Swansea for shooting permission with an air rifle. The question I'd like to ask is, 'How would you like someone to ask YOU for permission to shoot over YOUR land?'

I don't want to approach these hard working folks and get things off to a bad start.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Karl.

Edited by Fenman

Guest Leveller

Just be polite ask firstly if they can spare you a few minutes it's always a good sign if there's a horse or two about because they may be hunting folk. Take some ID with you and make sure you're 100% honest quite often certain types of people snoop around farms casing the joint pretending to be lost or looking for an imaginary missing dog.

Are you connected in any way to any other farmers in the area so you could say something like "I shoot the rabbits next door on Giles farm and noticed you had a few about would it be ok for me to pop over the fence and shoot a few?"

Some lads came to my door back along wanting some ferreting I sent them packing because it's my thing I manage our rabbit population at home, they were little shits anyway. I didn't like their attitudes had they been polite and well mannered I would of let them do a hedgerow or two.

Manners cost nothing and go a very long way in my book.

Good luck and keep us updated how you get on

Hello to all Farmers,

I am about to start asking around some local farms where I live in Swansea for shooting permission with an air rifle. The question I'd like to ask is, 'How would you like someone to ask YOU for permission to shoot over YOUR land?'

I don't want to approach these hard working folks and get things off to a bad start.

Kind regards,

Karl.

get yourself a hiace van pull up with all the boys hanging out the window shouting how ya boss!! in tracksuite an shoes and dont forget to have lurcher with you :D:D

Just be polite ask firstly if they can spare you a few minutes it's always a good sign if there's a horse or two about because they may be hunting folk. Take some ID with you and make sure you're 100% honest quite often certain types of people snoop around farms casing the joint pretending to be lost or looking for an imaginary missing dog.

Are you connected in any way to any other farmers in the area so you could say something like "I shoot the rabbits next door on Giles farm and noticed you had a few about would it be ok for me to pop over the fence and shoot a few?"

Some lads came to my door back along wanting some ferreting I sent them packing because it's my thing I manage our rabbit population at home, they were little shits anyway. I didn't like their attitudes had they been polite and well mannered I would of let them do a hedgerow or two.

Manners cost nothing and go a very long way in my book.

Good luck and keep us updated how you get on

Well said Leveller :thumbs:

Guest oldskool

get yourself a hiace van pull up with all the boys hanging out the window shouting how ya boss!! in tracksuite an shoes and dont forget to have lurcher with you :D:D

thats what we often get lol

smiling lots helps and well dressed, not in addias etc...

i've always found that a letter works best, because then when they have time they can read it, rather than being interupted by a phone call or just turning up they are relaxed.

dotty

Hello to all Farmers,

Kind regards,

Karl.

We seem to have LOADS of knobs who just turn up and EXPECT you to bend over backwards to help them shoot/lamp etc your land. They turn up with their dogs and let them run riot over the yard crapping everywhere and they don't even offer to clean it up!

I would say be polite, be truthful about what you want to do and be respectful. After all the farmer lives there with their family and they don't want fecking idiots tearing round their land.

A bottle of whisky might help too ;)

being polite has worked for me and talking without my manchester accent lmao, dont think u country folk like us townies......nar only messing but i think it helps to sound a lil posh, ive got permission on 2 farms in 2 weeks by just phoning around, i got alot of knockbacks (phoned around 30 farms) i.e mainly the didnt want me to (carnt argue its there land) or they already had people who came on there land shooting, just hoping to lose my rabbit hunting virginity on saturday because the farmer has told me hes got a field with quite a few of them on.

Edited by tucker2008
being polite has worked for me and talking without my manchester accent lmao, dont think u country folk like us townies......nar only messing but i think it helps to sound a lil posh, ive got permission on 2 farms in 2 weeks by just phoning around, i got alot of knockbacks (phoned around 30 farms) i.e mainly the didnt want me to (carnt argue its there land) or they already had people who came on there land shooting, just hoping to lose my rabbit hunting virginity on saturday because the farmer has told me hes got a field with quite a few of them on.

asked my OH (farmer) and he said he would be glad if you turned up and had full BASC membership.

asked my OH (farmer) and he said he would be glad if you turned up and had full BASC membership.

whats the best route to go down to get that, because my nearest shooting club is out of reach for regualar visits

ingnore that ive just checked out the website lol

Edited by tucker2008
Guest bigredbusa

im not a farmer .

i turned up in my van wearing my work clothes , i knew the name of the farmer and asked if he was about which i got a reply ' yes i am' , sorry to bother you my names is -------------- and i live in the village ,i take my daughter ferreting over at ----------- land , i noticed a few coming from your side .

yep no probs he says and sends me to a place which is crawling , i offered him a bottle of port last week and he wouldnt take it as im doing HIM a service. looks as tho i got the shooting over the summer as well :)

once you get one bit of land the neighbours usally follow suit . good luck chap