High Seat

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I So want one of those! I have a 'moterway' up the track from here and I could overlook every inch of it from a hight seat, regardless of wind direction. It'd be like shooting gallery white ducks!

Only pisser is; The single place to put it, for hundreds of yards around, is a high voltage power line carrying pole! :icon_eek: I just can't bring myself to risk anything that stupid!

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I've just spotted Chris R's signature! That is absolutely f*cking brilliant! :laugh:

Free standing ones? Yes, I have. And I want one. Only problem is I have no money. That pole rather inspires me to make up my own version of one of those more basic designs though. I.e. Cargo Strap a chair to it and use my own ladder to get up there. But, as indicated, I wouldn't be comfortable approaching live power lines with a rifle. I imagine the electricity board may have something to say about it too.

When the boat comes in though, I'll consider a free stander. Give the neighbours something to talk about, if nothing else! " He's up there again. " :D

That looks awfully high .Needs a platform half way to get your breath back lol.Good price though :victory:

I assembled the high seat in the garden yesterday & your right it is a high one. The ladder section comes in three pieces so I may only need to use two. It went together very well & is very well made. No parts missing & looks the biz. :yes:

I've stripped it down now to more managable sections so I can get it in the truck & over to the wood, next week hopefully. I'll take a few pics when its erected & in place.

Chris

Hi Chris

Just my 2p worth.

We have had quite a few nicked around my area. A padlock is not a problem to the guy with a pair of chain cutters. I have about 25 high seats out and about both for foxing and deer. Have only 3 metal ones the rest are wooden - its the metal ones that attract unwanted attention. So when leaving the seat of a metal seat, I remove the last section of the ladder - bit of a pain, but better than losing the lot.

I make wooden ones which are ultra comfortable with rails to shoot left and right as well from the front - every client/friend has found them as good as a bench rest to shoot off and total cost less than £25 (£30 with a conopy over the top) using treated timber, I have some still in A1 condition that are over 12 years old. Just some preservative every three years - you will find you will still have to paint metal ones over the years.

Finally, just looking at your photos of the seat in place, it just looks to me that your chain is quite loose. On my seats I insert a wire tensioner that will pull this chain tight against the tree to save any wobbles when you are sitting in it - agricultural merchants sell them about £2.50 each

ATB

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the observations & I agree its a problem with the portable type metal seats to keep them secure hence the chain & padlock which was all I could think of at the time to give some semblance of security. I'll give some thought to removing the last section of ladder.

As for the chain being loose, you can't see it on the photo but there is a broad strap with a tensioner running round the tree at the very top of the seat so it's quite secure against the trunk & there is another tensioned strap holding the ladder stabilser bar against the tree so no wobbles at all. :good:

Looking forward to getting some good use out of it.

:drinks: Chris

As for the chain being loose, you can't see it on the photo but there is a broad strap with a tensioner running round the tree at the very top of the seat so it's quite secure against the trunk & there is another tensioned strap holding the ladder stabilser bar against the tree so no wobbles at all. :good:

Looking forward to getting some good use out of it.

:drinks: Chris

Chris, are the broad straps the webbing ones about an inch across? If they are, be careful as they will last only about two seasons - my friend used them, luckily the high seat went side ways off the free and a holly bush broke his fall, he only needed to buy a new scope :o

Peter

• 7 months later...