opening up "barking/yapping"

Hi all

just after a little advice here as i've come to a holt on my little beddie whippet.

basicly he likes to open up whiles giving chase and no matter what he wont stop... :no:

hes nearly 2 years old now and for the best part of 6 month i havent taken him out on the lamp. "thinking this would help" but it hasent.. he still does it :(...

im lost for ideas apart from an anti bark coller "training coller"... so i ask the question

do you think it will work ? or do you have any idea what will ? or am i doomed lol... i feel the dog needs to be out on nights out with me but i aint takeing him out whiles he opens up as i feel it will affect my other dog

cheers in advance to the genuin replys..

and one for the no lifes who like to reply with shit :feck: <<<< just incase :)

all the best

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i had the same prob mate tryed one of them collers and no good, in the end i gave her to my wifes mate, she is now just a pet, i was gutted that i had to get rid but thats life. i will never have another one of this breed might be some good ones out there but mine was sh#t :thumbdown: best of luck with yours what ever you do with it .

every beddy whippet iv know yap, fek em off there just ferretin dogs or mooching mates :thumbdown::thumbdown:

for taking rabbits you name a dog breed better,in what ever hunting situation ferreting,lamping,in the woods,around water or all of them great acceleration,brains,turning and not the hardest dog to train.

the amount of squatters mine get on the lamp in conparisson to my salukix is vast this can only be down to her size and wait, and they have a great nose to.

Guest joe ox

I think a anti bark collar could be a bad idea. The dog is doing what its been bred to do but just getting a bit excited by the sound of things. If he is given plenty runs on the lamp he may or may not stop! for bushing it doesnt really matter.

IF YOU PUT AN ANTI BARK COLLAR ON A DOG AND ZAPP IT FOR YAPPING WHILE ITS CHASING THE DOG WILL PROBABLY ASSOCATE THE PAIN FROM THE ZAP WITH CHASING THE RABBIT AND IT WONT WANT TO CHASE THEM ANYMORE :doh: THAT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE STUPIDEST IDEAS I EVER HEARD :doh:

SOME DOGS WILL YAP SOME DONT CAN YOU LIVE WITH IT THATS WHAT YOU HAV TO ASK YOUSELF?

ITS NOT A HABIT MANY PEOIPLE LIKE TO SEE IN A RUNNING DOG :no:

Guest greengrass123

My beddy whippet never opened up and caught hundreds of rabbits as for being just mooching companions i expected a remark like that off a saluki owner. Most dogs will open up if entered too young

usually with lurchers when they open its a sign that they have been started to early in life for work,and once they start there is no stopping them,and there is nothing worse than having a sounder on a good nights lamping on forbidden land,about the barking collar well i would,nt bother as you might stop him from chasing completly.

Ive a beddyxwhippet that is silent night and day,so that blows the "all beddy x's are yappers" theory out the water.Seems to be fashionable of late to slate beddy x's,well i'm happy with mine. :thumbs: Opening up usually manifest's itself in young dogs,and i personally think it is a frustration thing.Some dogs do grow out of it,but some just never stop.I would try giving the dog easier runs for a while and see if this help's.My old man always reckoned that if a dog was started to early this would contribute to the yapping,as the dog wouldn't have the brains or the speed to do the job right,and would then start yapping out of frustration,then if left unchecked would carry on yapping everytime it was chasing quarry.JMO :thumbs:

Edited to say,the use of an "e collar" on lurchers of any kind would be a bad idea,and probably ruin the dog completely.

Edited by bill88