why breed a certain way?

Guest gaia

I'm probably going to get slated by some of you for this but how else am I going to learn??????

What I'm wondering is this why breed certain mixes? I know it depends what you want the dog to do but i keep reading about a dogs make up but have no idea what any of it means! :icon_redface:

So can someone help me out and say why a saluki is good/bad? or why bull is good/bad or wheaten or any of the other mixes.

I hope this makes sense!

Jeez, where would you start with this one.

Basically, certain purebreds possess certain characteristics that you wish to breed into your lurcher. For example:

Greyhound - speed, and the basis of most lurchers

Saluki - stamina

Bull - aggression, perfect for foxes, but that's banned now

Wheaten - aggression also

Bedlington - small, hardy, agile

Collie - agility, intelligence, trainability

Of course, the certain breeds have their downsides as well.

The list is endless and I could go on for hours but I am no expert on lurchers and I'm just giving you a few simple examples. If you wanted a dog for daytime hare coursing you would probably want something like greyhound x saluki, whereas if it's a dog for ferreting maybe a whippet x bedlington would be more suitable. For foxes pre-ban, greyhound x bull or wheaten would have been very popular. A lot of the appeal of lurchers for some people is trying new crosses and seeing what works.

Anyway, that's all I'm gonna add, I'm sure there are lots of people on here more qualified than me on this subject and hopefully they'll be along soon and give you a better idea.

You Breed for what you require in a dog.I breed for drive speed and intelligence. You get the different traits and try to get a balance.Sometimes its a total feck up cos just as you can get all the good points you require ,you could get an offspring with all the faults of a cross mate.

Regards Steve :cry:

Edited by k9wpg