i have had some snares set as i have lost some hens,when checking in the mornings find that the snare is closed tight with fox hair no fox, this has been three times on the trot, were am i going wrong can someone tell me. cheers

Never had that happen in all honesty. My first thoughts would be somebody letting them out! My second would be the material of the snare having too much memory and springing open too easily if you made them yourself.

Third would be that the fox is getting its leg in it rather than its head so just pulling it as far as the deer stop and brushing it off.

Can you describe where and how you set this or these particular ones?

Edited by Crosshair

Are you setting them on the fence or on a tealer .If on the fence make sure the loop is off the ground .If not you may find the fox will slip through the snare .It needs to get its paws under the snare and head in the snare .If using tealers then the fox maybe jumping through the snare but this is not that common and i cannot see them all jumping through . try setting the snare at 12 inchs from the ground on flat ground and alter the height if snaring on banks to the bottom loop this works fine for me .The most important thing is make sure the snare is loaded or the fox will back out of the snare very quickly .

One other thing .I leared the hard way !! if the fence has barbed wire running along the bottom of the fence cut the barbs off or the snare will foul on the barbs .Like i said i learned the hard way :whistling: