saluki x collie

In my opinion just for the simple fact that the dogs half collie it will give it a higher chance of making it refuse to run gear thats far away.......they use there brains to much sometimes. Especially when its ran a season or 2. Im not saying this cross wouldn't be good, just i disagree that its fair to say that it will be keener to run anything no matter what the distance. If you want a dog that will run down the beam to anything u slip it on no matter how far away or how close to the edge then your better of with out any collie in at all, a running dog cross say a mix of grey, whippet, saluki would be more suited.

Witton

Well i've never seen a S x C first cross but i've had and seen a few S x C x G run, and ive seen five off a litter bred by putting a very heavy first cross ( C x G ) to a pure saluki , not one of them ever refused to run anything like a half bred GxC or a 3/4 G 1/4 would and all had ten times the stamina compared with a straight collie 3/4 greyhound type.

Ive been told by a few that when a pure saluki is put to a lurcher you get a faster courser compared to a saluki first cross greyhound any one seen them run? I know it can work when you put a Sx G back to a saluki

thers a reason 99% of running dogs have greyhound or even whippet in them,

and theres a reason 99% of lurchers at one time had no saluki in them and now most do, but you would need to see them work to know why LOL

i'm not saying a saluki is as fast as a greyhound but how fast is a saluki? as like hares they only run as fast as they need to. My old dog would slow down when you ran him with a greyhound and then speed up when the greyhounds started to slow and take over the course. I don't think there would be much in it if you compared a first cross G x Collie and a S x Collie as the greyhound maybe faster but put to a collie the cross is very heavy unlike saluki crosses i would think they would be about the same for speed, and they would be more nimble and keener to run anything you slip them on no mater how far away. JMO

Highlighted in red just so you know which bit I am talking about.

Doubling up dogs is something I thought you were against and did not do :wankerzo4:

dont see the relevance in your post mush to mine, im talking about a first cross collie saluki not a saluki greyhound x collie greyhound id be the first to say the lurchers and long dogs would be poorer were it not for saluki blood and collie...

with all the experience we have today (or access to) on all the blood mentioned in this thread,i dont need to see one at it.

Haha I would not bother with this cross at all, I agree with what Tyson says :yes:

I bred a decent collie/greyhound bitch who wasnt lacking much pace in her younger days, to a fast lurcher bred out of a good lurcher bitch to a saluki/grey and then put back to a whippet/grey.

Now i'm not breed blind and i know how some salukis run but to lay the blame at the door of the saluki is a bit over the top with so many other breeds in it, if the Sire is bred ( IF) how you have been told your pup is only an !/8 saluki, now ive had a few 3/4 greyhound 1/4 saluki and all were way to fast and ran stupid like greyhounds most of the time. Now if your bitch that you bred the pup off had saluki in it I could under stand it, it could have been a throw back to some show bred saluki LOL but as she hasn't who knows, how old is the pup now?

Highlighted in red just so you know which bit I am talking about.

Doubling up dogs is something I thought you were against and did not do :wankerzo4:

Still don't now how to edit hay LOL

Not talking lamping. Think theres a topic about lamping hare not doubled up i'm afraid but almost what you do LOL.

dont see the relevance in your post mush to mine, im talking about a first cross collie saluki not a saluki greyhound x collie greyhound id be the first to say the lurchers and long dogs would be poorer were it not for saluki blood and collie...

with all the experience we have today (or access to) on all the blood mentioned in this thread,i dont need to see one at it.

so far no one on here has seen the cross so you can only go on what saluki adds to other crosses and how they turn out, greyhound adds speed and nothing else saluki adds speed and a lot more.

I CAN HONESTLY SAY I HAVE SEEN THIS CROSS WORK FIRST HAND, A PAL OF MINE HAD A BITCH SHE WAS ABOUT 20 MONTH OLD AND COULD NOT CATCH A COLD. SHE WOULD NOT RUN A SLIP AT 20 YARDS, AS SOON AS THE BUNNY RAN SHE WOULD STOP THE ONLY WAY SHE WOULD CATCH WAS IF HE SHOT A RABBIT AND THE PELLET PENETRATED THE WRONG SPOT LIKE THE NECK OR THE BACK SO IT WOULD JUMP ABOUT LIKE A T**T, SO IN MY OPINION FROM MY EXPERIENCES ONLY GOOD FOR RETRIEVING AND WAS NOT ALWAYS RETRIEVED IN ONE PIECE.

Still don't now how to edit hay LOL

Not talking lamping. Think theres a topic about lamping hare not doubled up i'm afraid but almost what you do LOL.

Yes Andy I know how to edit just fine thankyou, however I do try to keep my posts simple so a idiot such as yourself can understand them :thumbs:

You cant beat a bit of saluki in my opinion, all my dogs have got abit in and i reckon i wont own many dogs that have none at all in there breeding. I doubt id have more than a quarter tho but thats just because im not a fan of half crosses, i like to have abit of a mix in my dogs :thumbs:

Witton

I CAN HONESTLY SAY I HAVE SEEN THIS CROSS WORK FIRST HAND, A PAL OF MINE HAD A BITCH SHE WAS ABOUT 20 MONTH OLD AND COULD NOT CATCH A COLD. SHE WOULD NOT RUN A SLIP AT 20 YARDS, AS SOON AS THE BUNNY RAN SHE WOULD STOP THE ONLY WAY SHE WOULD CATCH WAS IF HE SHOT A RABBIT AND THE PELLET PENETRATED THE WRONG SPOT LIKE THE NECK OR THE BACK SO IT WOULD JUMP ABOUT LIKE A T**T, SO IN MY OPINION FROM MY EXPERIENCES ONLY GOOD FOR RETRIEVING AND WAS NOT ALWAYS RETRIEVED IN ONE PIECE.

well HONESTLY that sounds like one bad dog is there anything it did do right ?