What Decoy Set Up Are Yous Using?

Ive never had great success with a bird of prey decoy, Ive got a buzzard and an owl but they are for placing near a rookery in winter when nothings doing but it only gets me a few birds never 20 plus as they soon disappear.

If you want to decoy crows and pigeons this time of year I suggest you get your self a dozen pigeon decoys and a few flocked crows.

Patterns don't matter much at all its about being on the right field at the right time, like now, as fields are getting cut, the days following the birds are hovering up split grain.

Start by watching the birds in the days running up to a shoot to decide where your going to put your spread, and start with the basic horseshoe shape facing roughly into the wind 25-30 yards of from your hide, when you start shooting birds the dead become the decoys.

I find the decoys regardless of shells or full body just draw your birds for a look then once shot they are the best decoys of all.

I try to keep a good 20 or so shot birds this time of year, a chest freezer is what you need, then you can use a bouncer but only if its windy or it will put em right off.

I don't have a rotary but Ive shot with guys with both rotarys and flappers, but I shoot more than they do with my basics as the key is I know whats feeding and where, some people cant be arsed and think by slapping a new all dancing decoy down its going to draw birds, trust me it wont unless they are commited to that field, if so, then fancy decoys can accelerate sport but never create it.

Edited by engraver

I use a few full body pigeons and a full body magpie spaced out quite well. use them as distance markers too for ranging shots.

I have a small owl decoy but find it only really works in winter if its perched in a tree. crows go mental for it, but its hard to get a shot with air rifle as they don't stay still

• 2 weeks later...