Air Arms S400 Maintenance

Ok guys I've had my gun for a week now and can't get enough of it. As its my first air rifle I want to keep it mint I'm not clued up like you guys as I'm not a huge hunter just pop the rats off round here. What should I be doing to maintain it? I've been told to wipe the barrel with a oily rag what oil do you use? Also I understand they need servicing how often does this need to be done and how much will it cost from a gun shop? Sorry for all the questions but I brought it second hand it's had a new barrel and apart from a little scratch on the stock where the sling buckle caught it its in perfect condition (sling now removed) cheers guys

Hi mate,i wipe my gun off with an old cotton t towel,the ones that don't leave fluff everywhere.The oil i use to give it a wipe with is solv-it gun oil,aerosol,just spray a bit on a cloth.If iv'e got the gun wet i dry it and leave it in the boiler cupboard overnight as it's warm and dry and not hot so wont damage the wood.Mine is a walnut stock,i use a walnut oil applied by hand once a month to treat it.The scratch you have can be removed by putting a towel over it and gently ironing it,with the iron switched on,it only takes a minute.Make sure you store the gun somewhere dry,not where there is condensation,not as daft as it sounds this,i had one under the bed,and it made a mess of it,i didn't think it would.I have mine in a hard case,with some of those silics jell sachets you get out of boxes that electrical goods come in.I still put it under the bed,as it's too big to go anywhere else but no problem.Also get a trigger lock,only cheap,don't need a silly price one,as it will stop the kids messing with it,not a security/anti theft thing as you can just unscrew the trigger guard to remove it,i also lock my hardcase.

hth,

andy.

Go onto E-Bay and search for "TUF CLOTH", or search the on-line gun shops. You have a choice when you buy it, you can have a plastic bag or plastic jar. I have the plastic jar and after every time that I touch or use the gun I give it a two second wipe over, but if I have been out in the rain I remove gun from stock then wipe both parts over fully.

Personally I use Ballistoil for just about everything, the metalwork and the stock. It seems to do the job for me. As someone once said - it's a good chance that all gun oil comes out of the same barrel. It's just put into container with different names on the front. The chances are you'll try a few and then stick to one you like.

Another good one is G96 or you can use Bisley gun oil.

So, there you go. That's three different ones to try out.

As for servicing, go to Otmoors if you want your gun serviced. Have a word with Mike - he's a real Air Arms devotee and will see you right. You can also get your air bottled filled there too.

Go onto E-Bay and search for "TUF CLOTH", or search the on-line gun shops. You have a choice when you buy it, you can have a plastic bag or plastic jar. I have the plastic jar and after every time that I touch or use the gun I give it a two second wipe over, but if I have been out in the rain I remove gun from stock then wipe both parts over fully.

Cheers mate just ordered some is it easy to remove the stock I no it's just 1 bolt but does it mess with alignments at all?

Cheers for all your posts lads your a great help for a rookie like me ill try the tuf cloth and see how that goes if not ill try the 3in1 but as long as its protected I don't care. As for the stock I have beech what do you recommend on that part? You all may think I'm sad trying to keep it the best I can but its my first rifle and will never sell it and would like to get the most out of it. Thanks all