Saluki Crosses Retrieving

Hi all, am running a young bitch bred from established coursing lines, she is an awesome rabbit catcher but has started dropping every rabbit she catches and stands still while it runs to safety. She has been worked regularly since mld august but outings have been kept short. Anybody have any advice or experience of this

My current bitch was good when I trained especially for a coursing breed bitch, She would retrieve most things tennis balls dummies etc.

put her in the field and shell run and kill and come back, she did drop a few rabbits but doesn't now.

Her mother was the same, she'd always kill hares she caught and was crafty enough to fetch them in sight of you so you knew she'd done her job then drop them and come back, when I retired her from coursing shed play with rabbits she caught as if to say, to easy where's the hares ?

I honestly think retrieving game is in a dog or it isn't, some like to impress you some run for them selfs.

My last 2 bitchs 1, 1st x deerhound and 1 wheaton greyhound x bull greyhound that iv trained were natural retrievers of game despite doing little dummie work.

If your Lurcher kills a lot of gear for you it's not ideal but not the end of the world if you have to walk and get it yourself.

On the other hand letting it run away is unacceptable. Give the Lurcher rats and squirrel to run that'll liven her up she should at least start killing rabbits she strikes.

• Like 3

Thanks for advice , will try on rats and squirrels. Your comment about her thinking rabbits are too easy seems to be spot on for my bitch. Will stick at it as I'm chuffed with her ability

Have had it easy up to now. Started with collie crosses and last dog was bull cross, all been natural retrievers

My current bitch was good when I trained especially for a coursing breed bitch, She would retrieve most things tennis balls dummies etc.

put her in the field and shell run and kill and come back, she did drop a few rabbits but doesn't now.

Her mother was the same, she'd always kill hares she caught and was crafty enough to fetch them in sight of you so you knew she'd done her job then drop them and come back, when I retired her from coursing shed play with rabbits she caught as if to say, to easy where's the hares ?

I honestly think retrieving game is in a dog or it isn't, some like to impress you some run for them selfs.

My last 2 bitchs 1, 1st x deerhound and 1 wheaton greyhound x bull greyhound that iv trained were natural retrievers of game despite doing little dummie work.

If your Lurcher kills a lot of gear for you it's not ideal but not the end of the world if you have to walk and get it yourself.

On the other hand letting it run away is unacceptable. Give the Lurcher rats and squirrel to run that'll liven her up she should at least start killing rabbits she strikes.

as above give her rats and squirels so she has to kill um or get bit :thumbs: