hopefully somone can help me out here. I brought a Nikon D40 a few years back and seldom used it up until recently, a few weeks ago I dropped it on to the lens from only about two foot which has knackered the lens up totaly :icon_eek:.

these lens came as standard AF-S DX ZOOM-NIKKOR 18-55MM F/3.5-5.6G ED II. I since tried repairing them because they was totaly jammed and wouldn't Auto focus or manual focus to find some bits broken off inside.

the question is I have seen some other lens to replace these on Ebay but some have VR with a seperate switch for this? would these be compatable still with this D40 camera? all this lens buiness seems a bit confuseing as some says Nikon fitting F and other Nikon fitting F/N?

the question is I have seen some other lens to replace these on Ebay but some have VR with a seperate switch for this? would these be compatable still with this D40 camera? all this lens buiness seems a bit confuseing as some says Nikon fitting F and other Nikon fitting F/N?

Should be fine, the Vibration Reduction (VR) is self contained in the lens, Nikon have always maintained a reasonable amount of backwards compatibility when producing lenses so there shouldn't be any issues. Hope this helps.

ATB,

John

Many thanks lads. Can't beleive the price of them on Ebay, most are fetching round £50 - 60 includeing postage. Like I said in a previouse post I never used it much but it was always there incase! I now miss it like hell for just taking simple snaps.....

The Nikon D40 is one of their range where you really need to check for compatibility of lenses, a lot of lenses WONT work on this camera

spot on Romany you're bang on the button :thumbs: . been reading up on the D40 lately and it seems alot of lens won't auto focus on this camera....

I'm only now trying to match up the same lens I broke just to be on the safe side......