advice needed!

hi guys just need a little advice! iv just bought a old shotgun as a little project it needs sum work doin on it and my question is would it be ok for my dad who dosnt have a license to take the butt part of the gun to work with him to put on a machine for me?.what would the police say if if they stoped him with the part in his car? thanxs for looking!

Chez,

So long as its just the wooden part then he's fine. After all, its just a piece of wood cut into a certain shape.

Providing you have the "guts" of the gun i.e. action, barrel etc and have a valid license, all your dad has to say is that he's working on the stock for you. They can search the car to their hearts content if they so wish but not as though they will find anything else gun related.

SS :thumbs:

Chez,

So long as its just the wooden part then he's fine. After all, its just a piece of wood cut into a certain shape.

Providing you have the "guts" of the gun i.e. action, barrel etc and have a valid license, all your dad has to say is that he's working on the stock for you. They can search the car to their hearts content if they so wish but not as though they will find anything else gun related.

thanxs for that mate! so i will have to take the trigger and the works of the gun off the wooded stock first?

Chez,

thanxs for that mate! so i will have to take the trigger and the works of the gun off the wooded stock first?

Yep, you need to keep hold of the metal parts.

What sort of gun is it? Most modern guns on have one long bolt through the stock which is fairly easy to remove.

Chez,

Yep, you need to keep hold of the metal parts.

What sort of gun is it? Most modern guns on have one long bolt through the stock which is fairly easy to remove.

its a old essex side by side and im not sure it would come apart that easily as the screws look verry old. [bANNED TEXT] i took the butt pad off one just snaped.

Hi, Just my two pennorth that may make your life easier.

A trick that I often use (passed down from father) is to take a soldering iron (the bigger the better) to any old screws that seem impossible to move.

Hold the hot iron on the screw head for a couple of minutes (it does take this long usually) keeping an eye on the surrounding wood (do NOT use on plastic materials) and after this time remove iron and with a screwdriver or socket that is a GOOD FIT keep downwood pressure whilst undoing the screw. I have used this trick over the years with nearly 100% success on all sorts of stuck screws and small bolts especially old door hinges that can't be shifted any other way. Be sure to clean any paint or varnish out of the slots before starting.

Hope this may avoid further snapped screw heads.

Geoff

Hi, Just my two pennorth that may make your life easier.

A trick that I often use (passed down from father) is to take a soldering iron (the bigger the better) to any old screws that seem impossible to move.

Hold the hot iron on the screw head for a couple of minutes (it does take this long usually) keeping an eye on the surrounding wood (do NOT use on plastic materials) and after this time remove iron and with a screwdriver or socket that is a GOOD FIT keep downwood pressure whilst undoing the screw. I have used this trick over the years with nearly 100% success on all sorts of stuck screws and small bolts especially old door hinges that can't be shifted any other way. Be sure to clean any paint or varnish out of the slots before starting.

Hope this may avoid further snapped screw heads.

Geoff

thanxs for that mate sounds a good tip to no and il give it a try. thanxs