i,am new to the birds and dont no a grate deal about them i have a goldfinch cock that i was trieing to breed with a canary hen he was in with her 4 a few weeks i took him out because i like to hang him out to sing i have just notice the hen as got a nest half built she as been on her own for about a few weeks now so i have put him back in with her now is there a chance i get some think views please ..............................................................i got the goldfinch cock off a breeder a few months ago he let me have him over losing the hen and said he is in peak contistion for breeding :thumbs:post-41525-0-69723600-1342283913_thumb.jpg

i remove the cock soon as first eggs layed you reckon pal .................................................i surpose if the first egg ant fertile none will be

put him back in once a day mate and keep your eye on him,he should go straight in and tread her if he does take him out again,til all eggs are laid,have you seen him tread her :thumbs:

Edited by craigyboy

no i ant seen him tread her mate but woke up smorning and she as the back of her head bold and feathers missing so once first eggs layed shouldnt all eggs be fertile like a chicken ect mate just worryed about him smashing the eggs when she does lay someone told me soon as you see a egg remove him :hmm: the live her on her ow

Craigy is spot on with the advice he has given :thumbs: just to add, check every morning if she has laid and when she lays her first egg take it out and replace it with a dummy egg, repeat this every morning until she has finished laying that way you can leave the goldy in with her and not worry about him smashing eggs plus you are increasing the chances of him treading her if he's in all the time. Reading your post about her missing feathers I'd say the goldy is driving her hard to nest.

When she stops laying take the goldy out and replace the real eggs, she will sit the eggs for 14 days and you are then certain all the eggs will hatch the same day because they all have been incubated for the exact same amount of time.

She is well capable of rearing the young by herself so you keep the goldy separated from her preferably with a wire slide where they can see each other so they are compatable for the next round....