Splicing about with an old collar and some rope

I've been thinking of having a go at making a padded/wide/some how better version on my lamping lead for a bit now and seeing as i've had a greyhound collar that never gets used floating about for some time now I thought i'd have a fettle about and see if I couldn't come up with something workable.

Any how after a bit of mucking about and taking it apart a few times this is the prototype so far, its a bit rough and i've quit smoking so no lighter to melt back my tag ends and had to use matches instead :thumbdown::wallbash:

003-9.jpg

004-9.jpg

005-9.jpg

006-9.jpg

007-8.jpg

008-6.jpg

009-7.jpg

010-7.jpg

011-6.jpg

012-6.jpg

013-6.jpg

I dont have the kit for stitching leather so had to use nylon thread to whip the other end of the leather collar together in those last two pics

not tried it out on the dog yet but i'll give it a go if it ever decides to get out of its bed!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Yeah for the bigger type that pull like trains! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Trouble is i've only got my 26tts dog here so it fits him a treat but i'm not sure how it will fit a dog with a bigger neck! will probably take it all apart and start again after lunch :thumbs:

Some pics of it on my mutt

014-6.jpg

015-6.jpg

016-6.jpg

017-5.jpg

I've seen these type of lead in leather but I dont have any and that blue nylon rope is aweful gak, this stuff is nice soft poly :thumbs:

It works, I aint selling them to any one and its free so suits me down to the ground :D

the frayed end on the sewing ya did take a lighter to it it will burn down then blow it out then rub it with the lighter it will smoothen it all out and won't come undone then get some shoe pollish put it all over the thread it will watter proof it or beez wax thats what i use on my thread but you have done a good job pal :thumbs:

the frayed end on the sewing ya did take a lighter to it it will burn down then blow it out then rub it with the lighter it will smoothen it all out and won't come undone then get some shoe pollish put it all over the thread it will watter proof it or beez wax thats what i use on my thread but you have done a good job pal :thumbs:

Gave up smoking so dont have a Lighter no more :cray:

:laugh: melt the not to make it go flat it won't come undone you have done a good job on it though

:laugh: melt the not to make it go flat it won't come undone you have done a good job on it though

Got it all in bits again now mate :blink: trying to make it a bit more roomy across the back of the neck for a bigger dog :thumbs:

Got it all in bits again now mate :blink: trying to make it a bit more roomy across the back of the neck for a bigger dog :thumbs:

thats where leather and buckles come handy ya can make everything adjustable with one buckle

thats where leather and buckles come handy ya can make everything adjustable with one buckle

Aye! just not got the gear to make anything like that

Aye! just not got the gear to make anything like that

as in tools wise ?

Oh i've got a heap of wood work tools etc just nowt to work leather!

Have binned the lot now as it was looking like something you would see on a bull cross and gone back to making a lead out of a larger gauge rope!