Can't think of a title.

Guest Weasel Man

Guest Weasel Man

Hi there,

I don't know where to begin and I feel a little bit cheeky doing this(I promise you I am genuine). There is no easy way to say it and I know it's a helluva long shot but shy bairns get nowt as they say....

Basically I would like to go on a rat hunt.

Now I'll understand that everyone now is extremely suspicious of me so I will give you all a brief history of my background.

I don't own any dogs or ferrets (not now). I'm a 25 yr old male from Tyne/Wear.

I'm not from a hunting background and I've never really been hunting. I followed the Blencathra pack ONCE and the Braes o' Derwent ONCE. Also did a weeks work experience in pest control when I was sixteen. (Not a very good start is it?!)

My only,slightly feeble, link with hunting was that I kept ferrets when I was in my teens. I got my ferrets from a gentleman in Blyth - LW, and for some reason never used them for their intended purpose. One of my major regrets in life. A regret I am trying to amend.

I still live with the folks and my mam won't allow me to get a dog. How can I possibly go ratting? How do I know if it is something I will enjoy? This is the main reason why I would like to go on a rat hunt. Is it really for me? Not sure. Would like to find out though.

I think "armchair ratter" would be a better name for me than weaselman. Incidently I couldn't think of anything else as a user name and I was hungover at the time so please don't give me too much grief about it!

So (very rudely) I am appealing to any rathunters in the Northeast or North Yorkshire to take me and a friend on a rat hunt and show me their sport at it's best. It's really forward of me but I have to try.

I appreciate that ALL will now think I am an anti but I aint I'm just curious. If there is a way I could prove my sincerety I would do it. A meeting at a neutral venue perhaps? Any suggestions?

Remember I also will be equally suspicious of a total stranger, someone I have never met before. I don't want to go on a hunt and be giving the run around/taken the pee out of etc etc. I have visions of somone locking me up in a poultry shed surrounded by humongous rodents! So it is also a risk for me too.

Well I know it's a big ask and I'm pretty sure most will be sceptical of me (naturally) but it's worth a bash.

Cheers guys,

Weaselman. :rocker:

i did a rat job at an old guys garden under his bird tables :D by the end of the day i had him jumping up and down and digging with the spade :clapper: ..he was hooked and loved it ..never met any body who has done it who did not like it ..it makes a grown man turn in to a kid again :11: my misses loves it and would go every day if she could :D:D mind you so would i ..when its gets good its really good.. :D

rattings great , never when hunting do i laugh as much, grown men running about like their life depends on it , last week my 16stone mate did a 50 yard dash down a sheep fence and squatted this rat with a single swipe which we celebrated like he'd scored a goal , everyone was crying laughing.

Guest Weasel Man
Arite weaselman who do you know on this site ?

Hi Mik,

Don't know anyone on this site as yet.

As I say, my only real link with field sports was that I used to keep ferrets when I was in my teens. I never got involved in the hunting side of things though. However I have always kept an interest in ferrets and hunting in general even though I now no longer keep ferrets.

Basically I would just like to go on a rat hunt to see what its about but it is proving difficult to do as 1) I don't own any terriers and 2) I don't know anyone who does -which hinders me somewhat! Hence the reason why I am being so brazen in asking anyone if they could take me (a complete stranger) on a rat hunt. Bit of a long shot like but....

:rocker:

Guest Weasel Man
How long have you been reading hunting forums for Weaselman?? Which ones have you been reading?

Hi there,

I have been reading forums for a few years now, used to read the smoochers website. Also I used to buy the countrymans weekly when I kept my ferrets and even now I still buy it every so often. I must have around 100 copies (from over the years).

I am not from a hunting background and so it is difficult to get involved in any ratting. I'm just a curious lad who would like to try something out, so that when I do get the chance to own a terrier (ma won't allow it at the mo) I will be able to say that it is definitely something I want to do. At present I don't know if I would like ratting coz I aint done it. Seen videos of it "Albert Fox" and "Pud & Mainey" vids but that's it. Certainly looks fast and furious. Would just like to see it for myself that's all.

I appreciate that it is difficult to put any sort of trust into a complete stranger and many of you will be sceptical of me.

I remain ever hopeful.

Guest Weasel Man
Where are you weaselman ?

it may help, waste of time someone from scotland offering to take you if your from cornwall  :D

Ask around your local farms/stables get some ratting and we'll all be down for the day  :clapper:

Hi there,

I'm from Sunderland, so if anyone wants to go ratting by the seaside I know a place to go for a mooch. There is also a nice green belt area with a stream running through it. There used to be rats there but I haven't seen any in ages. Unfortunately I don't know of any poultry farms or places like that. Sunderland is mainly an urban area so not many place where you can go without lots of people snooping around.