Having being forced to quit Bee keeping ive decided to treat myself to a long awaited Aviary.

Now i would like a few English birds and will be setting this up at my home opposite my kennels so i will have hands on at all times.

What i usually do at this stage is go rushing in with both feet buy a ruck of pap and then start all over again when i calm down.

This time i plan on researching my chosen birds and taking the time to build an A1 little set up.

Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated, pictures of birds and set ups would be fantastic.

I had an aviary as a wee lad aged 12 to 15, bred some budgies etc...then we moved and that was that, so i do have an understanding of Husbandry etc...

All the best Dougie

just make the aviary as big as you can,you'l only end up adding on once your hooked mate :thumbs: as for birds its up to you,id recommend goldies,siskins,redpolls or chaffys or better still all of the above :thumbs:

Great choices Craig, will you have any birds for sale this year buddy?

just make the aviary as big as you can,you'l only end up adding on once your hooked mate :thumbs: as for birds its up to you,id recommend goldies,siskins,redpolls or chaffys or better still all of the above :thumbs:

i hope so mate :thumbs: ive got a few goldies hatched and ready to hatch,my yellowhammers are sitting tight as are my chaffys,my bullys are doing nowt yet but im trying reed buntings this year so fingers x for them :thumbs:

i hope so mate :thumbs: ive got a few goldies hatched and ready to hatch,my yellowhammers are sitting tight as are my chaffys,my bullys are doing nowt yet but im trying reed buntings this year so fingers x for them :thumbs:

Fantastic mate, you will have to keep me up to date. I read you have a few aviarys?

Ive only the room for a 6x6 flight onto an 8x6 shed, how many birds would you think could be comfortable in this confinment?

Do you use any for of heating or lighting, or do you keep it natural?

Sorry for all the questions mate but im dead keen to get this right from the start.

P.S I DONT THINK YOU POST ENOUGH PICS IN THIS SECTION :thumbs: .

YIS Dougie

Fantastic mate, you will have to keep me up to date. I read you have a few aviarys?

Ive only the room for a 6x6 flight onto an 8x6 shed, how many birds would you think could be comfortable in this confinment?

Sorry for all the questions mate but im dead keen to get this right from the start.

YIS Dougie

personally mate if it were me i'd put the 8x6 shed ont plot or move it an use it as a birdroom and make your flight 14x6 with a safety porch,mine are about 16x6 they have a back to em but 3 meshed sides and a felt roof,inside theres various branches to land on plus the whole back wall i nail conifer branches to which they nest and roost in,if your sticking to british then you wont need heating as long as you renew your conifers about november,and in this size of flight i,without any problems breed a pair of goldies,bullys,redpolls,siskins and chaffys,as for the pics ive not taken one for 12mths,i might get some of the youg uns later :thumbs: if you need owt ask away,il help if i can :thumbs:

YIS Dougie

personally mate if it were me i'd put the 8x6 shed ont plot or move it an use it as a birdroom and make your flight 14x6 with a safety porch,mine are about 16x6 they have a back to em but 3 meshed sides and a felt roof,inside theres various branches to land on plus the whole back wall i nail conifer branches to which they nest and roost in,if your sticking to british then you wont need heating as long as you renew your conifers about november,and in this size of flight i,without any problems breed a pair of goldies,bullys,redpolls,siskins and chaffys,as for the pics ive not taken one for 12mths,i might get some of the youg uns later :thumbs: if you need owt ask away,il help if i can :thumbs:

Thanks for your advise Craig its greatly appreciated, set asside the bird room completly?? Will the birds be housed in the Aviary all year?? I take it this is to create a more natural inviroment? How do you confide your birds this way?

I am pretty limited in space so was planning on building the bird house and flight together but it has got me thinking now because i do have some areas that would make good Bird housing already. This is why im not rushing in this time.

Ive only just scratched the surface of this fine hobby and im blown away by the quality of the birds im seeing.

One more thing that concerns me are my dogs, whilst i know my dogs will soon realise there my birds and not prey, how will the birds cope with the occasional barkin? there quite a guardy bunch and if anything untowards happens they tend to get a little vocal, could this be a problem buddy, will it shock them? Obviously the birds born into this shouldnt but do you think tyhe birds i buy in will need to be very young and bomb proof?

Thanks again Craigyboy :thumbs:

the birds live in the aviary all year round,i just renew the conifers twice a year,it was -14 at xmas an i didnt lose a one,theyre hardy little feckers,you can go in the aviary in the morning at -10 an break the ice on their water dish an as soon as its broke theyre in it avin a bath :icon_eek: as for the dogs,no probs mate,they soon get used,last year my bullx was asleep in the sun lay against the aviary and my goldie hen was pulling hair off her for nesting :thumbs: