Starting Up With Natives

My lad and I are thinking of keeping some natives ,which birds are best suited to a novice and what space would they require .Thank you, Phil.

Lesser redpolls and Greene's to start you of mate great birds and good luck with them.P1

id get siskins,redpolls,chaffys or goldies,theyre all relatively easy to look after,you could have a pair of each in a big enough flight mate :thumbs: all i can say is you wont regret it,its fecking heartbreaking at times but the good times far outweigh the bad :thumbs: atb mate if you need any advice,just ask,il help if i can :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Greenies,siskins and redpolls are good for starting off with because they are relatively easy to breed.

You could put them all in one big flight or one or two pairs in smaller flight cages.

Its up to you really what suits you the best regarding the space you have etc etc....

I have a wall of treble breeders and three flights which measure 14ftx5ftx8ft in height which I house 3 pairs in each flight you could put 4 pairs in a flight this size but its not ideal because some cocks get bored when their hens are sitting and break up nests/eggs.

So space is a factor when the breeding season comes around, I always have 3 different species in each flight so there is no fighting over hens.

If you go for flight cages with one pair in each this eliminates the above situation but again its down to the space you have to work with.

If I can offer any advice just ask :thumbs:

• 3 months later...