first outings with new rifle

having revieved my fac a few weeks ago i got straight on the hunt for rifles i was planning to get a rimmy first but [bANNED TEXT] the oppertunity of a nice .223 i couldnt help myself. i was trawling guntrader and gunmart to no avail and then had a look on the forsale pages of THL and saw that trooperman had his CZ527 .223 topped off with a leupold vx3l 4.5-14x50 and a T4 mod with various homeload ammo at bang on my budget, so i jumped at the chance and went to pick it up on bankholiday weekend, i couldnt wait to get it home and take it out, went out bank holiday monday for a bit of a zeroing sesh and didnt get chance to take it out as i work away. i told my girlfriend (first choice lampwoman) that we were going out friday for a look round and she was enthusiastic which helps. this friday came and we went round some of my own land and my doorstep permissions and only saw a few rabits and no fox so i opted for a bit of expensive rabit shooting and head shot 2 and body shot 1, (forgot how messy body shots were with centerfire :doh: )could have shot more but the cost would have been rediculous, we planned to use these three as a bit of bait on a field where my dad walks the dogs and has seen foxes on a few occassions at about the same time one sighting being only a few days ago. so we set out lastnight at about half nine and dropped the rabits at the edge of the field in a dip which is clearly visible from where i was heading, we then retired to about 100 yds between a mud bank and a shed to give us a bit of protection from the wind and rain, then the waiting game began, after about 25 mins of squeeking and shining at fairly regular intervals, i spotted a set of eyes at what but with the red filter on it was hard to tell so i had to have a look through the scope to check and there was charlie completely unfased by the lamp trotting along merrilly, i didnt hesitate in sending one of troopermans 45grn V-max homeloads his way dropping him in an instant into the longish grass at what i thought was the edge of the field. after this we waited another half an hour and then we went for a walk round some set asside at the back of this field to see if there was anything about but there was nothing so decided to go and see charlie on the way down we saw another fox but there was no safe shot as we'd now turned to face the roas so i had to leave it for another night (if only i didnt go for that walk :doh: ) we got to were i thought charlie had landed and couldnt find a thing i knew he was there somewhere! i decided to leave it untill this morning when i could take the dogs out for a propper look. went out this morning and he was about 40yds further back from were id thought :whistling: (i need to improve my rangeing in the dark :icon_redface: ) anyway its been a reasonably productive weekend, my dads chickens and the shoots birds are a little safer and i know theres anotherone there for next weekend. thanks to trooperman for letting his set up go its in good hands here mate!

post-27263-0-23629800-1304872596_thumb.jpg post-27263-0-86890300-1304872591_thumb.jpg

Rob-o

Edited by mcrobo123