I'm interested in all forms of hunting, well basically being outdoors :) and I'm interested in buying a airgun but no sure on laws or what gun would b best. So my 1st question is what can quarry can u hunt with a airgun? And do you need any sort of licence for one that can kill a hare? (if ur allowed to hunt them that is) I'm in no rush to get one would just like to be more clued up cheers all and sorry if there stupid questions ha ha :)

eyup mate. you dont need a licence for a rifle thats under 12 ft/lbs and a rifle of this power is more than capable of cleanly killing most, if not all forms of legal u.k quarry. i think theres a section somewhere on this site entitled "General Licences" or some such, and that'll have all the info you need on legal quarry etc. atb. darren.

The general licence is only really for birds, as all wild birds in the UK are protected by law, and it's only under the terms of the various general licences that you can shoot some species.

Ground game and vermin, stuff like rats, squirrels, rabbits and hares, are not generally protected. You can shoot them at any time of year, and using whatever kit you want.

BASC amongst others publish a list of "legal" airgun quarry. A google search should tell you all you need to know about legal quarry.

How old are you? It makes a big difference to the legal position.

Edited to add, I'll guess that your username gives me a clue, and that you are 21, in which case you can buy an airgun up to 12 ft.lb (about 16 joules) muzzle energy with no need for any kind of licence, as long as you're not a prohibited person.

Edited by matt_hooks