records

I used to have a diary in which I also wrote down the breeding of my dogs, but now it's in my head, at least of the dogs I still have. Strangely, people who get my pups are not all that interested in their family or bloodlines, if they are I will write it down for them. When I get a pup or dog from someone else, or breed to someone else's dog I want to know as much about it and its ancestors as possible. Best of all to see them work. Second best to hear from reliable sources how they work. But also their character outside work. I don't want a manbiter, or dog that fights other dogs, or runs away. Or never gets clean in the house. Or is obsessed with food. Or is disobedient, noisy in kennels, an escape artist etc. I had some of all that, to be weeded out of my lines.

You tend to forget a lot of details of certain dogs and events.

Before making a breeding I think of many details of both parents and their ancestry.

I have my 5- th generation of my own breeding now.

I like to breed a sensible, clever dog to a hard one, never hard x hard for then you get such dogs that are messed up after each hunting day. And never careful x careful or you get such which are afraid to work. There are many things to take into consideration before breeding. Good coat is one of them, nothing to do with fancy looks but with working long days in ice cold weather, rain, snow etc. So I mostly breed smooth to rough. Certainly never smooth to smooth.

Sometimes a dog broke out and got to a female and made a combination I had not planned, and sometimes the results of matings were quite different from what I had expected. Pups in a litter can be quite different from one another.

It is wise to note the adress and phone of the new owner of pups or dogs you sold, lest you want to keep in touch, or would like them back for breeding (especially with male dogs) or if someone else breeds good combinations with one, you might want a pup back, this will give you a bit more room in your bloodline than with just the dogs you have. For these reasons, keeping detailed records (either written or in your head) is important.

I would take great care about putting down details about digging/hunting, the way things are going nowadays if the wrong people got their hands on it ! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

thats what i was gonna say dont make it easy for them but write down the lines but at the time you dont think you will forget eh

Write it in pencil it cannot be used in court

Do any of you terrier breeders on here keep detailed records of your matings/lines ? or do most of you leave it to memory ? the reason im asking is i myself keep kc parsons and keeping track of the breeding lines is easy,everything being recorded ie litters ,pedigrees etc. With working terriers there seems to be a lot of crosses used, if you dont keep detailed records how do you know what your line of terrier really is ? ( i know most will say it dont matter as long as they do the job they are bred for !)i just it very interesting,( the make up of terriers in use today). :search:

SCRATCH EM DOWN ABIT ON PAPER SCRAPS N FORGET IN ME COVERALLS :icon_redface: