whining puppy while ferreting

Guest crobinc840

Guest crobinc840

I take my 2 dogs to ferret and the puppy watches but as soon as I start laying the nets she whines and doesn't stop until I walk over and tell her to. Of course 3 steps away she starts up again. Does everyones pups do this and how do you get them to stop? She is doing my head in but I want her to see how it's done and learn or should I just leave her at home?

Guest filthy animal

She's 6 months and I'm sorry but the avatar will be here for a bit, I'm having too much fun with it :tongue2: Did you get just a little excited at first lol :victory:

What you mean at first??? Still am lol. 6 months should be fine, if she was mine, I'd just ignore it and carry on with what your doing same as you would a child looking for constant attention.

Take someone with you and either you or they stay with the dog at first, while the other sets the nets etc, that way you can tell her what to do and calm her, Let her have a poke about while your netting up and just hold her and let her have a watch and listen to whats going on down there, she will definatly pick up the rabbits moving and will know when its about to bolt. Do this for a bit and when the rabbit has bolted, knock it on the head and throw it to her in the net, let her grab at it and then praise her and take it off her. In the next wee while if she is calm with ferrets, do a small set and when bunny bolts into the net let her go (if your worried you could even still have her on a lead at this point) and grab the bunny in the net, at worst it will lose you a bunny but at best and most likely she will grab it and the bunny will freeze. Again take it off her and praise her etc. Do this for a bit and she will get the idea of leaving the nets alone, and know that ferrets go in rabbits come out and her reward is to get to grab one in a net and hold it for a second if she is a good lass and waits quiet and watches. Soon enough she will just wait and watch and listen and probably shake bit :laugh: Good luck :thumbs:

Guest crobinc840

Thanks Ideation. I did have people with me sometimes and I stayed with her but she would continue to whine and I'd constantly have to get after her. She does shake when the nets are going down and is wanting to get in there but at 6 months old I don't think she's ready. I will let her have a taste of them in the net but I'm not sure if that will just get her more excited and noisy? I'm hoping it's just a puppy thing and she'll get over it. My adults are silent the entire time. All of them avoid the nets for some reason.