new dog

charb

i have started to introduce my 7mth old hh to my new 5 mth old springer pup, so far so good the dogs not to interested with the bird and the bird just gives him a little scream every now and then. at the moment i am just walking with the bird on fist and the pup walking close off his lead. i am planning to do this for the next few days to a week, and then let the hh loose? i have never done anthing like this befor so any advice or tips would be great.

thanks

i am still working the bird on his own and also working with the dog getting him use to everthing and learning the basic sit, come,stay etc

i have started to introduce my 7mth old hh to my new 5 mth old springer pup, so far so good the dogs not to interested with the bird and the bird just gives him a little scream every now and then. at the moment i am just walking with the bird on fist and the pup walking close off his lead. i am planning to do this for the next few days to a week, and then let the hh loose? i have never done anthing like this befor so any advice or tips would be great.

thanks

i am still working the bird on his own and also working with the dog getting him use to everthing and learning the basic sit, come,stay etc

You are doing the right thing, i use to have the dog in the house and sit and watch tv with the hawk on my fist and dog loose. Also put the hawk teathered down on the bow on the lawn, and leave the dog loose, over a period of time you will notice the distance the bird will except the dog into its personal space getting closer and closer. He will realise the dog is no threat, if he foots him all the better, the dog will know the score lol When you first fly him free with the dog you will notice his response time go up, this will soon pass.

Also if the bird can see the dog from the mews, almost constantly this is a big help (obviously not always possible depending on the set up.