well im new to this, but i recently bought a whippethound pup hes 16 weeks old and has a brillant bloodline on his sire side, but the dam is good aswell both have soft mouths,,, but i started to feed him redmills exel(32%protien),,and i also give him a bit of cod liver oil twice a week is there anything else i should be doing in order to give him the best chance. any replies will be apprecciatted :thumbs:

Edited by whippethound

y give creatin at 16 weeks old its still a baby????????

i researched it abit on the net and i only give 5gm every 5 days but this is the time they do the most developing so i want to make sure his growth is supported enough as i said i only new to this...

as your doin pal but cutt the creatine out and swap for red meat :thumbs: so many knobs on ere pal with nufin better t do than nock people rather than help them fookin idiots atb

i researched it abit on the net and i only give 5gm every 5 days but this is the time they do the most developing so i want to make sure his growth is supported enough as i said i only new to this...

as your doin pal but cutt the creatine out and swap for red meat :thumbs: so many knobs on ere pal with nufin better t do than nock people rather than help them fookin idiots atb

cheers mate appreciate it alot :thumbs:

cheers mate appreciate it alot :thumbs: and wat would you say regards amount of exercise

Edited by whippethound

cheers mate appreciate it alot :thumbs: and wat would you say regards amount of exercise

lay of the supplaments fella plenty of good red meet get some lambs ,goats milk or lactade worm him every 3-4 weeks

wont need much exercise just let run round the back garden at that age or 5 mins up the field then you wont go far wrong all the best with him :thumbs: :thumbs:

lay of the supplaments fella plenty of good red meet get some lambs ,goats milk or lactade worm him every 3-4 weeks

wont need much exercise just let run round the back garden at that age or 5 mins up the field then you wont go far wrong all the best with him :thumbs: :thumbs:

as david says mate round the garden or yard is plenty for a dog this age :thumbs: Edited by binks

yeah i wormed him there on saturday,,, wat age should he be tried on rabbits i will hold off until next season he should be bout 15 or 16 month or is that too long

yeah i wormed him there on saturday,,, wat age should he be tried on rabbits i will hold off until next season he should be bout 15 or 16 month or is that too long

spend time training him mate forget the hunting side for now you,l no [bANNED TEXT] hes ready mate wotever you do dnt rush it wait for nxt season :victory:

spend time training him mate forget the hunting side for now you,l no [bANNED TEXT] hes ready mate wotever you do dnt rush it wait for nxt season :victory:

yeah i train him a good bit now, he sits , he stays, and he come [bANNED TEXT] u call him

Creatin has no part to play in a developing 16 week old pup. I'm not sure what research you did but I've yet to see any evidence whatsoever of it benefitting a puppy. It's purpose is to develop increased muscle mass in the athlete and more importantly aid in muscle recovery.

I personally would sack the Red Mills Excel off. If you know anything about protein and dog food you should know that the protein source is more important. Hooves, claws, nails all contain protein but they are not easily utilised by the body. Feeding high protein that is poorly sourced puts the dogs metabolism under strain and coat condition is usually the big indicator that the protein is poor (along with the fact that greyhound feeds rarely state where their protein sources are from)

If you want a good start. Feed red meat, preferably with a high quality feed that states it's minimum meat content and where this is sourced e.g. lamb, beef etc. I can't stress enough that the percentage protein on a sack of dog food is completely irrelevant. It's quality, not quantity that matters. Appropiate foods I rate would be James Wellbeloved, Wainwrights, Royal Canin etc. They're expensive, but they are worth it.

The only other thing I would suggest is that if the pup is going to be a big dog, feed a quality feed aimed at large pups as their mineral contents are slow release again so the pup can utilise this as it needs it.

As for exercise, I let my pups do their own thing. By that I mean free running. Run over lots of different types of ground (mossland, grass, sand etc) and also plenty of rest. Not sure when people start training their youngsters for working but with racers we generally only let our pups see a lure at about 9 months and even then this will only be for short slips of 25 yds or so. There really is no need to rush, the best things come to those who wait. :thumbs: