Cleaning hmr 17

Hello all. just after some information on cleaning hmr 17 , herd diffrent things off people saying it should be cleaned after 10 shots and others saying every 50 shots . I clean the gun after being out with it but dont want to carry cleaning rod into feild. never had this trouble with 22. Any information would be much appreciated thanks

I clean mine every time I shoot, after I've finished, I seldom shoot more than about 20 rounds even when zeroing, and I don't really notice much if any of a degredation in accuracy, you don't need to clean it every 10 shots, if you leave it untill you reach 50 shots, then the powder residue in the barrel will attract moisture and could lead to the barrel rusting, plus you'll make it harder to clean next time. I also don't notice any loss of accuracy after cleaning, my Anschuetz is right on the money.

The actual number of shots is irrelevant. The HMR rounds burn a lot of powder, and so inevitably you get lots of residue in the bore. This is hydroscopic, so attracts water and raises the humidity inside the bore, increasing the risk of rusting. A barrel can rust inside at a frightening rate!

I would clean the rifle when you've finished for the day. Some decent solvent on a pullthrough, run it through the bore in the right direction a few times, then a couple of passes with the bronze brush, then patches through until they come out clean and dry. At that point, if the rifle will sit for a few days, I'd give it a light coat of WD40 or decent light gun oil on the inside of the bore, either sprayed directly, or on a soaked patch. Just make sure that before you next shoot, the barrel is pulled through until it's dry!

As for cleaning in the field, or in the middle of a days target shooting, I wouldn't bother unless you are noticing an excessive increase in group size.

• Like 1

The actual number of shots is irrelevant. The HMR rounds burn a lot of powder, and so inevitably you get lots of residue in the bore. This is hydroscopic, so attracts water and raises the humidity inside the bore, increasing the risk of rusting. A barrel can rust inside at a frightening rate!

I would clean the rifle when you've finished for the day. Some decent solvent on a pullthrough, run it through the bore in the right direction a few times, then a couple of passes with the bronze brush, then patches through until they come out clean and dry. At that point, if the rifle will sit for a few days, I'd give it a light coat of WD40 or decent light gun oil on the inside of the bore, either sprayed directly, or on a soaked patch. Just make sure that before you next shoot, the barrel is pulled through until it's dry!

As for cleaning in the field, or in the middle of a days target shooting, I wouldn't bother unless you are noticing an excessive increase in group size.

aye bang on the money....