Springer, Gas or Pre-Charged

I am looking to buy an air-rifle in the next few weeks. Having not shot one since my youth (many moons ago :( ) I was hoping for some advice as to what may suit best.

I have looked at some BSA's - Supersport, Lightning & others including Daystate Harrier, Theoben Fenman.

My main requirements are accuracy & power. Noise a consideration also as will use for vermin control - would this go against the springers?

Any help & advice greatly appreciated :D

:signthankspin:

• 3 weeks later...

Guest Muddy.Waters

[

If you have the funds for a PCP then go for it, as its the quietest of your options , but dont forget charging gear Phutt,, AA 410 are well good and so cheap},Have you got a gunclub near you ?as the gun has to fit you ,unless you want to lose money upgreading in a few months time,,, most clubs will let you have a look so you can find what suites you best fenman is a rated gun, logen mk 1 and 2 i had probs with pellet jam

Edited by Muddy.Waters

[

If you have the funds for a PCP then go for it, as its the quietest of your options , but dont forget charging gear Phutt,, AA 410 are well good and so cheap},Have you got a gunclub near you ?as the gun has to fit you ,unless you want to lose money upgreading in a few months time,,, most clubs will let you have a look so you can find what suites you best fenman is a rated gun, logen mk 1 and 2 i had probs with pellet jam

Thanks for your reply mate

It's that long since I posted this that I've gone & got a (proper) Webley Longbow - went for the self contained option.

It's a nice accurate gun - well pleased.

Thanks again

:)

Cheers

I've had a few air rifles, PCP are definitely the quietest, not used a gas ram, supposed to be really good. As for springer, I've just got one, my first for about twenty years, a .177 Air Arms Pro Sport V-Mach tuned, a really good rifle and I wouldn't say that loud for a springer.

My PCP is a .22 Daystate X2 Sports and this is a really good rifle, very light and so smooth to use, that said I do find a heavier rifle easier to use and more to my liking.

I have owned a couple of MK1 Rapids and for hunting I think these are the ultimate air rifle, my last one I'd owned for about twelve years and never had to do a thing with it.

I also had a Logun S-16 .22 Shrouded, and regret selling it to this day. I hated it at first, pellet jam, blamed the gun as every one does, but to put the record straight, it is down to operator error and not the rifle. Once I had been put straight by some other owners, WOW what a rifle and I always favoured it for all weather hunting, a bit heavy if out for a long haul, put right with a sling, but very precise, powerful and accurate weapon.

Hope all this is of some help...Al :thumbs-up:

Guest kassinopious

I have a .22 Daystate Harrier x2 with the gary cane walnut stock. I dont think i would ever change from this gun unless it was to upgrade the stock to the x2 merlyn. As standard it comes with a fairly ecent moderator, however to make it as quiet as can be a second silencer is recommended. I bought a weihrauch silencer for mine and now i'm more likely to scare off quarry by farting than by shooting at it.

The gun itself is fantastic, the thumbhole stock makes for superior steadiness in a multitude of shooting positions, and should you find yourself in an uncomfortable position then it still feels fine holding it in the same way as the sporter stock. The gun overall is pretty light when compared to similar specification rifles such as the weihrauch 100T and 100K.

In terms of performance, the gas cylinder will give between 65-80 shots at 12ft/lbs and easily fire 120 before performance is deraded to an inadequate power. the barrel is as accurate as you are basically, ive fired some thousands of pellets throughmine and havent seen a single shot go astray of the crosshairs.

Being pcp and with the added recoil pad on the butt, there is no kickback whatsoever, this means that when out in the field you can see exactly where your pellets are going and adjust your aim accordingly for widage and distance.

Filling the gun is no hassle at all, pull off the cap plug on the quickfill adaptor and your away.

The only downsides i have found for the rifle are:

a) the green "safe" indicator on the safety never actually dissapears, so you just have to remember which position is on and which is off.

B) the gas bottle is a pretty permanent fixture, as much as to say theres no point getting a spare to go in your pocket when you go for a day out. Bu so long as your not wasting shots, the 65-80 you get at full power is more than enough to fill a bag with a fortnights dinners!

I cant really give you much info on other guns as this is the first pcp ive owned. I have friends with weirauch 100T's and a BSA super 10 so if you want info on either of those let me know and ill drop you a note.

Dan