SALUKI MALE- UNUSUAL MARKINGS- HEREFORD AREA

Whilst this post may not make me popular it may explain a couple of things.

This dog was found abandoned tied to a car- it was only after he'd been there a few hours was it realised he was abandoned.

He must have been taken to a pound where he will have been checked for a collar, tag & microchip. Having none he will have been taken to a holding kennel. Where they are usually scanned again- full body scan not just the neck & checked for tattoos or ear markings.

Now- depending which part of the country & the kennels because they are not all the same. After 7 days unless an owner comes forward, or a rescue offers a place dogs can and are pts. We dont agree with it- PLEASE dont assume this area do have a pound that pts. I do know some that dont.

Had the dog been chipped- I doubt the new owner would have changed the details the original owner would have got the phone call.

I know 100's of dogs arent chipped, we have loads of working dogs in the pounds- that we cannot get back to original owners- people from this site because we cannot trace dogs back to you.

As the dog was sold on- even though he wants it back its the new people that would be classed as 'owners'.

I really feel for your friend, I dont know why the dog was sold on to start with or why the prats dumped him instead of giving him back or selling him on.

But all dogs in rescue are neutered, we have to as a responsible action to the dog. In general dogs are getting pts in there 100's every day due to over breeding. How can a responsible rescue allow an uneutered dog to be rehomed?

I cannot believe the amount of saluki/saluki x currently coming through the pound. 12 months ago I was lucky to see one a week - now Im seeing 5 - 7 a WEEK, I know they're nicked from somewhere.

The rescue have helped to save a number of 'working' dogs, they were acting in the best interest of the dog-based on the information they had.

PLEASE- if you do nothing else chip your dogs or use ear tattoos. None of us like idiots stealing or taking dogs but you can do something to help get them back.

I know people that chip & am quite happy to arrange for them to chip 5 - 10 dogs a time in various areas of country - theres also a few 'Free Chip Days' around.

I dont know if your mate could ring kennels again but unfortuantly they are just picking up the pieces. I dont think your mate would have sold the dog if he;d known this was going to happen either. Thanks to the prats who dumped him that want a bl**dy good hiding this is the situation your mates in.

Its a bad situation, but if nothing else as Ive said- please c

Microchip your dogs. I know they dont wear collars & tags for working but being boring it is a legal requirement.

Take regular photos of your dogs- preferably before you go out- they are easier to use should they be needed

Check out who your are selling to

If you need to give your dog up TXT ME/PM ME/EMAIL ME- where I can I will try help

Im not in any way blaming you, its lucky you are here in some respects. the bloke sold the dog as he was having family problems. the lad who bought the dog was still ringing in january to tell him how the dog was getting on, even though the dog had been dumped on xmas eve. the woman in the kennels is a right old battle axe and if she wasnt so rude perhaps people would work with her a bit more. She is totaly aginst working dogs as she said she was. thanks again though

I understand the kennels owners arent 'working dog owner friendly' Ive never spoken to them myself but in fairness to them they have saved a number of dogs.

I think there attitude has changed over time because of the amount being dumped- bearing in mind the are probably stolen to start with its no wonder owners dont turn up.

IF the dog was chipped- and its stolen- you put an alert on the microchip so when vets/dog wardens or whoever scans it when they ring for owners details it notifies them immediately the dog is stolen.

Id like to see EVERY dog chipped and tattood.

Where the hell all thes salukis are coming from is a mystery. I have interest because I have saluki x myself -caught after 9 months of running wild and took a month to get in a trap. So I know how difficult it is to teach recall, its taken me months & this one was only approx 9 mths when she was dumped/run off/ escaped.

A working dog into a pet home will work but only if they understand the nature of the breed & slukes are a law unto themselves. You need eyes in the back of your head & nerves of steel to let them off for first time.

I would really like to see pictures & details of other stolen/missng slukes to start & check them off through the pounds as there is loads of them.

I do feel sorry for this lad BUT at least he knows the dog is alive, its safe and it will have rescue back up for life which is better than the outcome for a lot of them

As for the lad that bought him he needs a slap