Seals in power steering pump

What sort of job is it to change the seals in my 1985/6 Range Rover power steering pump.

What its doing is losing all the fluid when I fill it up, makes a right noise when turning left and right. Funny enough though turning left is a lot easier than turning right.

So I thought if I changed the seals it might cure the problem. What do you think?

imo the hardest part wil be taking off the pump!! once it is off then you need to make a puller to get the pulley the fan belt sits on off, once that is off then it should be a case of trying to get the seal out which is pretty easy with a pick or thin screwdriver then put the pulley back on with a puller because if you tap it on with a hammer there is a pretty good chance you will smash the casing on the back of the pump and need a new one!! from reading your description it sounds to me like you have ran it dry and fooked the bearing up your probably better off jst getting a new one or another from the scrappy yard mate. (i have never done one on a range rover but have done millions on other cars and cant see it being any differant) hth ...daks :)

imo the hardest part wil be taking off the pump!! once it is off then you need to make a puller to get the pulley the fan belt sits on off, once that is off then it should be a case of trying to get the seal out which is pretty easy with a pick or thin screwdriver then put the pulley back on with a puller because if you tap it on with a hammer there is a pretty good chance you will smash the casing on the back of the pump and need a new one!! from reading your description it sounds to me like you have ran it dry and fooked the bearing up your probably better off jst getting a new one or another from the scrappy yard mate. (i have never done one on a range rover but have done millions on other cars and cant see it being any differa

Thanks for that info, I didnt run it dry intentionaly but it drains from full within a day, runs all over didnt realise it would knacker it up :icon_redface: I ought to have known though. :wallbash:

that doesnt look too bad to do mate, looks like you'l need some stubby spanners though to crack them big nuts off on the feed and return pipe or maybe not just a good socket set, take the belt off and then crack off before you undo any other bolts and get the pipes out the way, the pulley looks like the nut on the end will just unwind so should be easy enough id change it rather than piss on changing seals etc as i say itl of fooked the bearing so may as well buy new i know the price for the seals from ford are 18 flaming quid the robbing cnuts!! good luck :)

edited to say if its loosing fluid try draining it all out wiping the pipe down and looking for a split/leak, i dont know if parts are hard to get for these i have done a jeep cherokee thing once that was a pure cnut to get to but i found the metal pipe had cracked whipped it off and took it to a company who charged me i think it was a tenner and made me a new section in about an hour or so as i couldnt get a new pipe they were dealer part only and i avoid them like the plague!!!!

Edited by Daks

Thanks for that Dacs, I am going to have to do as you say and find out exactly where its leaking from as I just assumed that it was leaking from the pump, it might be a pipe but it seems dry around the pipes.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. :thumbs:

Thanks for that Dacs, I am going to have to do as you say and find out exactly where its leaking from as I just assumed that it was leaking from the pump, it might be a pipe but it seems dry around the pipes.

no worries mate hope i have helped good luck with it :thumbs:

Bet you it's your steering box output shaft oilseal :yes:

I have just been underneath and it appears to be coming off the end of a large nut at least an inch if not inch and a half nut under the steering box. The large nut holds a bar about a foot long which attaches to another long bar that goes to the nearside front wheel. Sorry for all the technical info :icon_redface:

So Blacksheep I think you may be right if that is the output shaft.

Can someone confirm please.

I have just been underneath and it appears to be coming off the end of a large nut at least an inch if not inch and a half nut under the steering box. The large nut holds a bar about a foot long which attaches to another long bar that goes to the nearside front wheel. Sorry for all the technical info :icon_redface:

Yes mate that is the output shaft with the large nut on , you can change the seal but it is rarely successful due to play in the shaft , a reconditioned box will set you back about £170 ish of which some you will get back if you exchange steering boxes.

you can get one at paddocks (online landrover parts dealer)

Hope this helps

Yes mate that is the output shaft with the large nut on , you can change the seal but it is rarely successful due to play in the shaft , a reconditioned box will set you back about £170 ish of which some you will get back if you exchange steering boxes.

you can get one at paddocks (online landrover parts dealer)

Hope this helps

Thanks for that, at least you have identified it, now its up to me to put my hand in my pocket, £170 phew

Saying that its not cost me a lot in the last three or four years.

Thanks again

Hcc