MUTE TERRIERS

a mute terrier is diffrent to a hard dog.

infcat most hard dogs arent mute, the just dont bay but will be at their quarry.

a truely mute terrier is one that stands off its quarry like a baying dog but dosent bay, ive seen it a few times, they are still and staring. some people keep them and have sucess with them, i personally think its a line trait fault and should be culled out. some young dogs do it but this is all part of the learning process.

imho a dog which is mute should not be used to ground( for bolting) the only time any of my dogs have gone quiet while in contact with charlie or brock(in europe) is when they have a mouth full of quarry :boxing: .

the best thing to get the guns sharp is a baying dog.waliking all over the set with a locator can and will stop the fox from bolting,he will have to be pushed out making life alot harder for the dog.

my aim has always been to get the job done with minimum fuss( often doing 10+ sets,manmade and natural in a day,with one or two dogs).

i am the opinion that digging( while fun) is not an efficiant way of controlling numbers.and where i have done most of my foxing is seen as a last resort.

i appreciate that lots of the terrier men/woemen will disagree with me on this and their opinion is just as valid i'm sure.

atb and merry x-mas.