mk 1 ferret finder repair

Mine was exactly the same mate! I've got two, & they both started to play up at the same time...............

If you take off the lid, you'll see two 'pots' (potentiometers) One at the top right, & one at the bottom left. Without seeing a circuit diagram, I can't tell you what they do exactly, but they regulate the voltage through something-or-other on the board (it's highly-technical, & you don't need to know, so I won't go into detail :whistling: )

Anyhoo........mark the exact position of each in relation to its housing, & just give them a tweak (one at a time, unitl you can anticipate the reaction) Unless your finder actually has a damaged component you'll eventually find that you can fine-tune the sensitivity. It's not an exact science though, & I'm pretty certain Deben would be checking the voltages from a test point using a 'scope, but we mere mortals aren't privy to that info'.

A wee bit of tweaking will sort it out mate. Worked for mine! :thumbs:

Mine was exactly the same mate! I've got two, & they both started to play up at the same time...............

If you take off the lid, you'll see two 'pots' (potentiometers) One at the top right, & one at the bottom left. Without seeing a circuit diagram, I can't tell you what they do exactly, but they regulate the voltage through something-or-other on the board (it's highly-technical, & you don't need to know, so I won't go into detail :whistling: )

Anyhoo........mark the exact position of each in relation to its housing, & just give them a tweak (one at a time, unitl you can anticipate the reaction) Unless your finder actually has a damaged component you'll eventually find that you can fine-tune the sensitivity. It's not an exact science though, & I'm pretty certain Deben would be checking the voltages from a test point using a 'scope, but we mere mortals aren't privy to that info'.

A wee bit of tweaking will sort it out mate. Worked for mine! :thumbs:

Hi cheers for the reply, i did try that but it only shortened the height in which it located it didn't make it better, Rich

You need to keep tweaking mate! :thumbs:

The two work in conjunction with each other, so finding the right combination is a right pig if you don't have the set-voltages :angry:

I take it everything else is in order? Batteries, connections, no corrosion, loose wires, etc? I know you've probably already checked everything, but sometimes it's easy to get caught out with a brain-fart.................I once had half a dashboard out to replace instrument bulbs before it occurred to me to check the fuse :icon_redface::rofl:

You need to keep tweaking mate! :thumbs:

The two work in conjunction with each other, so finding the right combination is a right pig if you don't have the set-voltages :angry:

I take it everything else is in order? Batteries, connections, no corrosion, loose wires, etc? I know you've probably already checked everything, but sometimes it's easy to get caught out with a brain-fart.................I once had half a dashboard out to replace instrument bulbs before it occurred to me to check the fuse :icon_redface::rofl:

Have to admit i didn't take note of where they started off and just turned hard left and right so perhaps i need to take a bit more time with the tweeking, there is no corroding and all looks (untrained eye) good and clean. ill give it a go cheers mate.

If it was buggered to begin with I wouldn't worry too much about the original positions? Here's how I'd go do it if it were mine? Screw the collar battery down, then set the range somewhere around 5'. Set one pot' mid-way, & turn the other fully-home (either side, it doesn't matter) then give it maybe an 8th of a turn & see what effect it has...........it'll likely still be pretty crap, but don't worry about it at this point? Keep giving it an 8th-turn at a time, & mark where you get the 'best' finding, & then repeat the performance with the other pot (i.e: turn the first one to mid-way, etc.........) Again, once you get the best setting mark the position of the 2nd pot, & set the first one to the 'best' mark you made earlier (still with me? :hmm: lol) All being well, you should now have a 'set-point' that you can work from..................give one pot' at a time an 8th-turn each way, see what effect that has, then return it back an 8th & do the same to the other.

It's a pain in the ass I know, but without a 'scope & the known set-voltages there's really no other way. Just takes a bit of patience :thumbs:

Edited by Quixote