few ladys on the taff.

went down to the taff this morning at about 7 and had 3 ladys of the stream (grayling!) on the nymph. i had one on a pink czech nymph (the biggest of the lot at about 1 1/2 pounds) and 2 others on a small partridge and orange spider, they were about 1/2 a pound but scrapped well on a lttle 8ft 4/5 rod. sorry no pics.

ATB

Aaron.

out again on the grayling yesterday, had 2 on a olive F-fly as they were taking something olff the surface so i stuck it on. it was a great rise on the first fish i had. it came up nearly veritcally, water was so clear i could see it swimming up and hover beneath my fly and then sipped it in. i struck and a lovely grayling about 9 inches came to ym hand. andother one followed in quick succesion. i had third risen but missed it. the rises stopped after that. i stuck on a hares ear and czech nymph and went above a nice pool. fished the flies down and 2nd cast the rod nearly shot out of my hand as i wasnt paying attetion. landed a fish about 10.5''. i moved back to the grayling for one last fish and noticed a few mullet in amongst the rises. now i hear you say "mullet!? in amongst grayling?!" but ever since the connection between river and see had been locked by the barrage in cardiff there had been a small school of mullet locked in the river and they were doing quite well. had another grayling on a emerger then headed home. a nice afternoons fishing.

Nice going mate, we dont get many Grayling around our local rivers and the closest ones that do cotain them are nearly all taken up by clubs and/or to much of a trek, and im not joining a club just for a Grayling :icon_redface: we do get the odd one or 2 show up in the Trent from time to time but there few and far between, only British fresh water fish i havnt had the pleasure of catching "yet" ;)

Got any pics??

There seems to be a lot of grayling about at the moment on most rivers where they are present as a species but in many cases are usually dominated by a trout population.

I took six grayling from the little avon yesterday evening along with a solitary brown trout, with the trout giving the best fight pound for pound.

roll on winter, when the grayling will be real tough scrappers.

all the best

fin and fur

you will get 1 trout for every 20 grayling ou catch on the taff! i took 8 small chub on a dry fly today, now they do scrap hard!

True indeed the Chub are excellent sport on the fly, and the smaller ones do seem to scrap the hardest.

You are doing well as i have only managed 3 chub so far this season, mind you the biggest was a 3lber.

Its good to see that the Taff has recovered in the last few decades to become a river that will support such a healthy Grayling population, who have to be amongst the fussiest fish when it comes to water quality.

I had a bit of a groundhog day on the little Avon yesterday evening, catching six grayling and a solitary brownie again.

all the best

fin and fur