Sparrowhawks

Guest billy boy

Dear Tony,

I really liked the photos I saw of the Spar on the Magpie and the collard Dove. Very good photos for sure! For you to be catching quarry like this and the Black birds also ,you must be doing something right.

Had a Female called Pricilla, caught a Wood Pigeon once, purely by suprize! The Musket flew a Little Owl on one occassion and if things hadn't turned out in a different way something could have happened nasty......

Always had a passion for Sparrowhawks and Foxes also since childhood days. The difference is I have to control Foxes......

Do you still live in Lincolnshire Tony? Just interested as a certain guy called Tony lived in the same county as us, namely Nottinghamshire. He had the Goshawks also.

It is certainly nice to hear that there are still certain people who devote their time and dedication to the Shortwings.

If any of you people want to contact me anytime please do so. In all honesty It's been along time since I was involved with the Falconry situation. Times do change!

So for now.

Best Regards. Billy boy.........

Hello Billy

I left Lincolshire near sutton bridge in 2000. it was nice and quiet but sometimes too quiet, all there was for miles was flat fenland which was did my head in litterally. I like to get out in the country where the woods are so we moved more towards Norwich direction, its nice hear and I have a conifer wood to escape in at the bottom of the garden and one to the side of the house.

Sounds like you have had some sport in the past Billy, My enthusiasm took a dip for the last couple of years but I'm getting a Buzz again this year watching these young Gos's chaseing and playing in the aviaries.

Cheers

Tony

Guest billy boy

Dear Tony,

A great many thanks for your reply. These modern technologies, eg, computers are good for sure. Not yet used to them just a simple guy into old fashioned writing styles. It is a nice area where you live, and I know Norfolk quite well. I did follow the Foxhounds for a while and plan to do so again. I also have a friend who lives in Norwich and he belongs to a 'Mormon' family, very intererested in all types of Hunting. It really made me happy to hear about your success with the Spars and the breeding with the Goshawks also. Wonderful! It's really nice to hear that such people still abound, flying the Shortwings . When my 'Twin' brother, Stephen, arrives here again I will for sure show him your photos Tony.

He has had a fascination for all types of Birds of Prey for many years, so of course he will find many interests in these particular subjects. I saw a Hobby here just last week, late evening time. Stephen tells me if the adult birds are catching Dragonflies there is a nest nearby. There was a nest not too far from here situated on an electric pylon in an disused Carrion Crows nest.

Tony, I might be asking for some advice pretty soon regarding the Merlins.So of course that advice would be really appreciated.

To me it seems like you caught more Black birds than we ever did.Very good! As you will know the Muskets are more difficult to handle, but also the Females are not too easy.

My best regards.

Billy boy.....

David.

Guest billy boy

Dear Shaun,

Regarding the Black bird situation. I'm pretty sure the Black bird is one of the most testing types of quarry for the Sparrowhawk, especially the Musket. I found in my experience the cock Black birds

being more difficult than the hen birds. What birds have you got?

Best Regards.

Billy boy.......