"Keeping up the pressure"

I have watched the local Magpie decimate both the robin and blue tit nests in my garden over the past week :angry: , although I don't like using the rifle at home (small garden, thin fences, neighbours etc...) this black and white thief had driven me too it. After a couple of days of peering around the curtains and trying to nail the little s**t I was begining to realise just how clever / wary these birds are. :hmm:

After a few internet searches (I even considered building my own Larsson trap ! ;) ) I decided to lay a trap.... a ripped open bin bag on the lawn with a "sprinkling" of eggs from the fridge and a couple of slices of the wife's Parma Ham :thumbs: the trap was set. Lying on an old bit of carpet with the garage door slighty open I sat in wait. There was interest pretty much straight away, I just couldn't see the litte fu**er due to my positioning on the floor. After an hour and a half the fragrence of Italy's finest cured ham got the better of him and down he came. He was just lickin his lips and looking forward to a nice lunch when songbird justice was administered. Head shot and he dropped where he stood. .177 pellet straight through and smashed the new strawberry pot ! :icon_redface:

Anyway here's the question... leaving a springer cocked over a period of time is going to affect performance (eventually). Is this the same with a pcp ? Does the compressed air affect the seals in the cocked position ? I'm not sure on the exact way the measured amount of air is transferred to the barrel. (It's a HW100 if that makes any difference.)

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Guest Scuba1

Don't leave it with the bolt open as you will get dust on the seals and that is not a good thing, but you can leave it cocked for as long as you want without it doing any damage.

ATB

Michael

when a pcp is cocked all that is happening is the hammer spring is being compressed.the compressed air only comes into play when the spring is released(trigger pulled) knocking open the valve and releasing the appropriate amount of air for the shot.

i once left mine cocked by acident after removing the magazine. the next day i went back to it and checked the onboard presure guage, it was showing empty. dont leave it cocked over night. for a couple of hours on a slow hunt is fine but not for much longer than that. hope this helps a bit.

btw the rifle was a air arms s410

Guest Scuba1
. He was just lickin his lips and looking forward to a nice lunch when songbird justice was administered. Head shot and he dropped where he stood. .177 pellet straight through and smashed the new strawberry pot ! :icon_redface:

Dan

You did well there but you don't have to take the saying " one for the pot " that literally.

;)

ATB

Michael