Vaccine problems

I just checked our local veterinarian even the vets in big cities here in our country and they all confirmed that we don't have a canine distemper or the Imrab anti rabies vaccine. The only canine distemper vaccine available in the country is part of a 5 in 1 vaccine for dogs which includes lepto, parvo, influenza and icterohemorgia. Can I give the 5 in 1 for my ferret? Are there any other brands of anti rabies good for ferrets?

I am just preparing even though his recent vaccine (from the US) will be due on December.

Hope you guys could help.

Thanks alot!

Why are you wanting to vaccinate him??

From what I have heard there is not distemper in the UK. I live in America and we have distemper and rabies, I am not vaccinating for either. Weezer, Lilly and Ravi all completed their shots prior to me getting them but Lakota only had her first two distemper boosters.. And I'm keeping it at that.

Distemper is 'alive and kicking' in the UK, unfortunately! Seven ferrets died of distemper here in North West England about a year and a half ago. My vet had the information directly from the vet that treated them and a friend of mine knows the owner so I'm not propagating an 'urban myth'.

Here in the UK, vets use dog vaccines to vaccinate ferrets against distemper. Mine get a multivalent vaccine (Nobivac DHPPI) and over the years my gang have had over 60 shots of this vaccine without any problems, apart from sleepiness in one ferret for a couple of days once.

Edited by Funfuret