Crow shooting

Better to be safe than sorry with the law, You can still have pistols over there cant you?

Hopefully it wont be too difficult for you to find out some information, the Wildlife and Countryside Act encompasses the EU Birds Directive and seen as the IofM is not part of the EU, it may well be different for you.

Regards

SS

Yeah you still can indeed some of the lads i know got some quite impressive pistols like dirty harry jobs haha.

• 3 weeks later...

This season i have been asked to shoot afew drilled fields on the crows as i have not really done this properly before i was just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers as i wouldnt mind getting into it abit more?? best decoys, pattern, callers, field craft, ect that sort of stuff. any help would be most greatful. many thanks Jim.

I do an awful lot of Crow shooting and there is no doubt the best decoys are dead crows. The best decoys otherwise are flock coated ones, they can be made to bob or can be bought as flappers, a rotary machine is also good but it will need to be turned down to around 25rpm to work on crows.

A pattern could be in a horseshoe like pigeon but i find a fairly random pattern the best. Crows will see you a mile off, so you will need to keep perfectly still until it is too late for him, your hide will be the same as a pigeon hide, a net set up against a hedgerow.

You can not use electronic callers for shooting crows, it is prohibited in the Wildlife and Countryside Act, you can use a hand call, Acme make one, they will work once or twice but good fieldcraft and decoys are far better.

Regards

ss06

Great tip!

now can i take the dead black and white(rare in holland!) crow from the wall near the deer heads and put it in sigth of my new homemade huntingshelter!

This season i have been asked to shoot afew drilled fields on the crows as i have not really done this properly before i was just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers as i wouldnt mind getting into it abit more?? best decoys, pattern, callers, field craft, ect that sort of stuff. any help would be most greatful. many thanks Jim.

I do an awful lot of Crow shooting and there is no doubt the best decoys are dead crows. The best decoys otherwise are flock coated ones, they can be made to bob or can be bought as flappers, a rotary machine is also good but it will need to be turned down to around 25rpm to work on crows.

A pattern could be in a horseshoe like pigeon but i find a fairly random pattern the best. Crows will see you a mile off, so you will need to keep perfectly still until it is too late for him, your hide will be the same as a pigeon hide, a net set up against a hedgerow.

You can not use electronic callers for shooting crows, it is prohibited in the Wildlife and Countryside Act, you can use a hand call, Acme make one, they will work once or twice but good fieldcraft and decoys are far better.

Regards

ss06

Great tip!

now can i take the dead black and white(rare in holland!) crow from the wall near the deer heads and put it in sigth of my new homemade huntingshelter!

Rare all over mate, have seen a stuffed one. Never in the flesh,

SS