Extending A Long Net

Greg 7

I have a mick dadd 65 yrd long net with about 80% bag which i really rate, catches rabbits is easy to set an put away. I also have a mick dadd 80yrd long net with 150% bag that i find to be excessive!it makes the top line sag pulls poles over and it doesnt tangle upon coming out the basket but the sheer bulk of netting makes it harder to open out etc. So my question-can i simply take the poles off extend the head and toe line add a few more poles after working the bag between each pole out and then end up with an easier to set and longer long net??

Thanks in advance Greg

I have a mick dadd 65 yrd long net with about 80% bag which i really rate, catches rabbits is easy to set an put away. I also have a mick dadd 80yrd long net with 150% bag that i find to be excessive!it makes the top line sag pulls poles over and it doesnt tangle upon coming out the basket but the sheer bulk of netting makes it harder to open out etc. So my question-can i simply take the poles off extend the head and toe line add a few more poles after working the bag between each pole out and then end up with an easier to set and longer long net??

Thanks in advance Greg

Yes no problem.

Just count the meshes if it is 4" mesh multiply the number of meshes by 4" and that will give you the total stretched length of the net. Divide that by 2 and that will give you the length of the net rigged by halves or 100% bag as people erroneously call it. Subtract the length of your lines from that number in your case 80 yards, and the number that is left is what you need to increase each line by.

You will of course need to strip the poles off the net to re-set it. 90 meshes every 5 yards will give you a net rigged by halves.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1