information wanted on given shotguns

Hi Chaps

I aquired a selection of shotguns yesterday rather than see the rozzers cut em up, however I would like some information on two of them.

Firstly an english side by side 12g hammer gun made by the west of england gun co of Taunton and secondly a 12g o/u made by SKB. (i think a 525 model.

Any info would be appreciated, also I have a single barrel 12g with Hoehler Blitz engraved on the side plates.

Guest Macnas

I'll take a look later on tonight for info on the west of england gun company, I've come across that name before I think.

Try www.skbshotguns.com for info on the 525, if its in good nick it might be worth something.

I've no info on the single barrel, hoehler is probably the maker/retailer and blitz (lightning) is the model.

Guest Macnas

onlesscharlie

The West of England Gun co, do not seem to have been makers, but rather importers and dealers. I would suspect that the hammer gun is Belgian in origin. A look at the proof marks would tell you if this were so.

The SKB is probably a 585, not a 525.

onlesscharlie

The West of England Gun co, do not seem to have been makers, but rather importers and dealers. I would suspect that the hammer gun is Belgian in origin. A look at the proof marks would tell you if this were so.

The SKB is probably a 585, not a 525.

Many thanks for your effort, I will have a look at the proof marks.

I'll take a look later on tonight for info on the west of england gun company, I've come across that name before I think.

Try www.skbshotguns.com for info on the 525, if its in good nick it might be worth something.

I've no info on the single barrel, hoehler is probably the maker/retailer and blitz (lightning) is the model.

Further marks on the single barrel gun are G-Gardone VT

Guest Macnas

Ok, G-Gardone VT is the location of the Italian proofhouse, in Val Tropia. Which means the gun or its barrel was either made in italy or just proofed there.

If there are further proof marks, they will be on the underside of the breech end of the barrel. Take it apart and have a look-see. Italian proof marks, if they are on the gun, will tell you the year the gun was made via a 2 letter code.