which falcon

Davy T

hi ....ii have been flyin a female harris for about 9-10yrs now but was thinkin abnout a falcon ......which falcondo you guys reckon would be an ideal starter bird....forgot to add this bird will mostly be doing lure work as i want to learn the ropes more before i buy a decent falcon ......many thanks davy

hi ....ii have been flyin a female harris for about 9-10yrs now but was thinkin abnout a falcon ......which falcondo you guys reckon would be an ideal starter bird....forgot to add this bird will mostly be doing lure work as i want to learn the ropes more before i buy a decent falcon ......many thanks davy

dont know what would be a starter bird all depends what quarry you want to fly but a nice female pere/saker that way you can get her killing aswell..make good corvid and gull birds

Edited by rickardo

if you just want a lure bird a lanner falcon would be a good choice iam not saying thats all thay are good for but they do make very good lure birds.or even a pere/lanner then when you get her good and fit and had plenty of lure practice you could get her on the crows hope this helps kev.

if you just want a lure bird a lanner falcon would be a good choice iam not saying thats all thay are good for but they do make very good lure birds.or even a pere/lanner then when you get her good and fit and had plenty of lure practice you could get her on the crows hope this helps kev.

Hi Kev ..Thanks for the advice....for my first falcon i was thinkin along those lines with a lanner ....it will only be used as a lure bird so i think this will suit me just fine ...cheers Davy

cant see the point of a "lure bird" unless you do displays.Get a bird that when you are fed up of swining a lure will hunt for its supper,like rikardo said a nice pere/saker female for ease of entering or a fem gyr/saker at least.We are after all Faloners and not bird keepers,at least i am.

cant see the point of a "lure bird" unless you do displays.Get a bird that when you are fed up of swining a lure will hunt for its supper,like rikardo said a nice pere/saker female for ease of entering or a fem gyr/saker at least.We are after all Faloners and not bird keepers,at least i am.

Well nothing wrong with being a bird keeper as you put it but hey each to their own.....the only reason i spoke about a "lure bird" is because i dont have the land to fly a falcon on successfully ....well not to any kind of live quarry ...however it does'nt stop me from admiring falcons and wanting to own one...the way i see it is if the bird is out virtually every day and flying to the lure it will still get a decent amount of manning and exercise ...this will obviously have its down sides but i have been hunting with harrises for around 9-10 yrs and i will still be hunting harrises for the next 10 yrs { god willing }i have been wanting to get a falcon for some time but like i said i dont have the land to hunt with a falcon...hence the "lure bird ".....

cheers Davy

I would like to fly a Goldie but dont have the land for one,so i wont get one,thats the idea of getting a hawk to suit your land.I love flying falcons but if i didnt have the land to hunt it i would jack it in,i just dont think hawks are pets and we should distance falconry from bird keepers for the sake of the sport,anyone who thinks just because they have a football field to exercise on, can buy a falcon and think the bird will stick to that area and all wil be well (i am generalising and not saying thats what you have) but it never works that way,the bird will wander and if you dont have the space it will end up somewhere you cant get it.I am not having a pop at you personally and i do understand the pull of getting a Falcon, but have a drive around ,you would be suprised how many farmers would let you hunt corvids with a falcon,THEN buy a falcon which you can eventually hunt with as well :clapper: Good luck in whatever you decide.