i decided to empty my tin bath today thats sunk into ground as the pup is driving me mad paddling in it and stinking .so ive waited till my frogletts had gone lol but as i tipped it out ,there was newts underneath and inside it !!!!!adults and young ,i gentle replaced it and put about an inch of water in ,what do i do for bestnow can i refill it lolshould i give them something to climb out ,lol sorry if this sounds silly

muckypup.jpg

Edited by terriermaid

Pick them up and place them in the most densest part of your garden just before nightfall..... :good: they may come back to the water, butmore likely just hide away under where ever they can, and beleive me, a newt can get anywhere.,... :good:

Guest Keeps

Its years since Ive seen any newts till the other day when we were out with the dogs, we found a few boards where the dogs usually hunt out stoats, lifted them up and found a load of newts & toads underneath :)

DSC_0126-1.jpg

toad.jpg

Edited by Keeps
Good on you for caring .Our newts in the pond have left already but the younsters need a whole season in the water I think .

No mate, the vast majority of first season newts will be out of the water by mid-september with only a few (if they have been poor growers) remaining behind. They will all emerge en masse and crawl away and hide. This will happen during the night and you probably will not see them. They will be around 3/4 of an inch in length if they are smooth/palmate, but a little longer if Gcrested. Good luck with them..... :good:

Good on you for caring .Our newts in the pond have left already but the younsters need a whole season in the water I think .

No mate, the vast majority of first season newts will be out of the water by mid-september with only a few (if they have been poor growers) remaining behind. They will all emerge en masse and crawl away and hide. This will happen during the night and you probably will not see them. They will be around 3/4 of an inch in length if they are smooth/palmate, but a little longer if Gcrested. Good luck with them..... :good:

:good: