Whats done this??

Guest Geordie

Was down on my permission the other day and saw this,was wondering if it was a woodpecker had done it?

If you look at the tree it seems to have small holes in it as though it is infested with some sort of insect?

Has a woodpecker been at the tree trying to get at insects? Also there seems to be claw marks? Any ideas?

hunting0061nv.jpg

/

Guest Geordie

Must be about 8 foot off the ground and the marks on the tree were about half an inch deep,ive never seen any squirrels,but then again id been in them woods about 2 months before i seen any deer lol

Could be bark beetle. I had that in some ash logs I had stacked up outside but at the time we had the roof off and I was terrified that it was woodworm. :D

If you pull a piece of the bark away you'll see little tunnels along under the bark agaianst the wood, but not actually down into the timber itself.

John

• 1 month later...
Guest Ditch_Shitter

From my own experiance and observation, Geordie; I'd say no way is it a woodie. They tend to make a serise of bores. They don't cleave off patches like that.

Probably the mystery, purple f***a that came wandering past my gaff recently! :laugh: (Boar Board)

Guest Ditch_Shitter
wasp's ... they will chew away at a certain type of wood all through the summer wile building the nest..

:icon_eek: Good god! I do believe you've cracked it wide open! Of course! Look at that damage and think of what they'll do to a fallen apple - Identacle pattern! :clapper: