My first snared rabbit

Guest Fishaben

Guest Fishaben

Hi all,

I have set snares a few times now and never caught any :no: . But thanks to some of Rabbithunters tips I caught my first one this morning. I set 3 snares on a fence and 1 on a run just before it went under a different fence. I had just set the 3 on the fence when I decided to take a look over the fence in another field. When I walked over a nice big rabbit ran along this run and under the fence, so I set 1 on the run.

When I went down this morning to check them, the 3 on the fence where bear but as I was walking over to the 4th snare; the long grass was shaking vigerously and there was squeeling. I walked over and there its was a baby rabbit trying to escape my snare, obviously because it was a rabbit I walked over, picked it up, to the snare from round it and let it go :good: . Because I set that snare for the bigger rabbits the baby must have jumped through it and caught it just before the rear legs, round its thigh, so it was released safely unharmed :) .

Ben

Guest Fishaben

Hi,

im not doing it for pest control, just sport. And could you or anyone let me know a good, easy and quick way of putting a rabbit out of its misery as I have a rough idea how to do it but would like some proper guidelines.

Ben

put your thumb just in front of its ears. your four fingers under its chin. pull head back so ears are going towards body. aplly a little force against its neck. job done

that is what I do but use my two fingers

I put them behind the rabbits ears bend and pull and the rabbits just die

Fisherben,

I'm not knocking you for "having a go" mate and I hope you do well if you decide to continue snaring and hunting but I think you should be learning how to humainly dispatch your quarry before you attempt to catch it.

The way I was taught is as already described, (Necking or Chinning) don't bother messing around with "Karate chops", Hold the rabbit either by the back legs or the saddle in one hand and with the other hold the rabbit with the crook of your thumb across the back of the neck, (thumb pointing towards you) and the fingers wrapping around the side of the rabbits face and under the chin. Pull with the "Leg" hand and push away with the "Head" hand as you give a twist of the wrist tilting the back of the hand upwards.

you should hear and feel the neck dislocate and it's job done, quickly and humainly. :yes:

hope that made sence, :blink:

All the best, Leigh. :good:

Hold the rabbit either by the back legs or the saddle in one hand and with the other hold the rabbit with the crook of your thumb across the back of the neck

this is how i was doing it before the other method i said. I was usually alright, but sometimes when you got a rabbit that tightened his neck up it took a little more effort - isnt that right Mr. PegandGun :11: -

I found that holding it just in front of the lugs how i described, is best for me. But everyone has different ways of dealing.

There is a bit on the DEFRA site about rabbit snaring and the way they describe is "take the rabbit out of the snare, hold it from the back legs and give it a blow to the head with a heavy object, such as a priest" or something along those lines.

What can i say? Always kill a rabbit before removing it from a snare. as it makes your life easier, and sometimes on a cold morning, snares can be a bugger to remove, therefore increasing the time the rabbit is trapped.

just find what works for you, as long as its quick & humane, it will do :good::good:

this is how i was doing it before the other method i said. I was usually alright, but sometimes when you got a rabbit that tightened his neck up it took a little more effort

A couple of trips to the gym will sort that out for you mate, ;):yahoo::laugh::good: LOL.

My main point really was to make sure you can do it properly before you go catching them and wondering what to do next, :icon_eek:

as we said, as long as your own way works for you crack on with it, :good:

Edited by Vermin Dropper

My main point really was to make sure you can do it properly before you go catching them and wondering what to do next, :icon_eek:

was thinking the same myself, i do it the same way as gordon says, grab the rear legs and the neck in your other hand with palm facing its skull, put your 4 fingers under the chin and stretch and direct the head upwards asif it looks at you. you may have a bit of fun on your first few goes but should pick it up. and then youll get a tuff 'un :D ive tried that way ryan but couldnt do it, would be handy to know as you say for the tuff ones or when there in the nets.

maty.

Guest Fishaben

HI all,

thanks for all your replies, and I can see where you are coming from vermin dropper. Like I said, I thought I had a rough idea how to do it but when I had the rabbit in my hands it just seemed so hard for me to do, as im only 14 and killing a rabbit for the 1st time isn't the easiest thing to do, I think I am going to leave the snares for a bit until I can get someone who does it often to show me how to do it and then I can try and pull myself to do it, I think it will just be the 1st one I kill that will be the hardest to do, ( i think you will all know what I mean). But for now I'll stick to shooting them with my mate as I only have to look at it from a distance and pull a trigger.

Thanks again,:good:

Ben

Edited by Fishaben
i just hold the back legs and head and pull, but this is difficalt when they are in nets or a snare, is the chinning easy to do? or do i really need somone to show me?

just do it the way i said. thumb in front of ears, four fingers under chin. pull head and there is a dead rabbit. weather its in a snare, purse net or long net :good:

HI all,

thanks for all your replies, and I can see where you are coming from vermin dropper. Like I said, I thought I had a rough idea how to do it but when I had the rabbit in my hands it just seemed so hard for me to do, as im only 14 and killing a rabbit for the 1st time isn't the easiest thing to do, I think I am going to leave the snares for a bit until I can get someone who does it often to show me how to do it and then I can try and pull myself to do it, I think it will just be the 1st one I kill that will be the hardest to do, ( i think you will all know what I mean). But for now I'll stick to shooting them with my mate as I only have to look at it from a distance and pull a trigger.

Thanks again,:good:

Ben

stick with it fishaben and all the best in your hunting future :good: