SOME FOXES I GOT LAST WINTER.

Guest Frank

Guest Frank

Got a good few foxes last winter, here are just a few of them below. ;)

Frank.

Another.

:)

Some hares too.

2 were taken at dawn.

Edited by Frank

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Frank

Got a good few foxes last winter, here are just a few of them below. ;)

Frank.

Another.

Some hares too.

2 were taken at dawn.

nice pics there mate

Cheers Chrissy. :good:

Frank.

Edited by Frank
Guest varmartin

are they small foxes or are those hairs bloody huge .

dont see them much in cornwall frank.

good shooting and nice pics.

What is the farthest you shot with a .223 mate.

Im into long range shooting!!.varmartin

Guest Frank
are they small foxes or are those hairs bloody huge .

dont see them much in cornwall frank.

good shooting and nice pics.

What is the farthest you shot with a .223 mate.

Im into long range shooting!!.varmartin

Hi Varmartin,

My longest shot so far is on a rook, at 276 yds. Im still getting my head around long range shooting. :icon_redface:

I plan to get a 6.5 x 55 within the next year i hope, then prehaps i can really reach out their.

Pic below of the rook and a bunny taken at 123yds.

Frank. :)

Guest Frank
nice shooting there frank :good: hope i can upgrade next year and get some long range shooting done , personal best so far is a fox at 272 yds give or take a yard

Thanks Fox shot. :good:

Frank.

Guest Frank
Good shooting Frank, why the 6.5 x 55? I do a bit of long range deer hunting and I use a 280 AI but guess everyone has a different opinion, just wondering why.

Seems to have more knoock down power then the .243 ect , cheap ammo, soft recoil, ect ect.

Over here in Ireland, we have limited calibers to go deer hunting with.

Mainly .243 and .270 and just starting to get licensed, with great diffeculty, the .308.

I have shot all and the 6.5 seems the caliber for deer for me. ;)

Frank.

Frank, sorry didn't know you had restrictions as to catridges, and really haven't had much dealings with the 6.5x55 but hear its used alot for competions over there, I've read that the 6.5x284 is used alot here in the states for long range shooting. I use to have a 300 Win Mag that was quite accurate and killed quite a few deer at longer ranges(350 to 500 yards) but recoil is tough with this one and after it was stolen I have tried a couple of others. Here the woods are thick and finding down deer hard if there is not a good blood trail or it drops on the spot so after loosing a few with smaller calibers I've gone to the .284 140 grain bullet and the 280 AI gives the velocity of the 7mm Rem Mag without the recoil. It would be nice to place shoots for instant kills but thats not practicle at long ranges, at least not for me, so I try for the vitals shot most of the time and they do travel a bit when hit there. The Sierra 140 BT gameking has been good at leaving blood trails if hits stay in the lung, heart area and recovery is alot better. My gunsmith has talked me into trying the 6x284 and should be able to try it on some deer this year, if he ever finishes rebarreling my gun, he claims the 85 grain HPBT gameking at 3600 to 3800 fps will do the job on deer and he claims 1300 yard kills with it.

Guest Frank
Frank, sorry didn't know you had restrictions as to catridges, and really haven't had much dealings with the 6.5x55 but hear its used alot for competions over there, I've read that the 6.5x284 is used alot here in the states for long range shooting. I use to have a 300 Win Mag that was quite accurate and killed quite a few deer at longer ranges(350 to 500 yards) but recoil is tough with this one and after it was stolen I have tried a couple of others. Here the woods are thick and finding down deer hard if there is not a good blood trail or it drops on the spot so after loosing a few with smaller calibers I've gone to the .284 140 grain bullet and the 280 AI gives the velocity of the 7mm Rem Mag without the recoil. It would be nice to place shoots for instant kills but thats not practicle at long ranges, at least not for me, so I try for the vitals shot most of the time and they do travel a bit when hit there. The Sierra 140 BT gameking has been good at leaving blood trails if hits stay in the lung, heart area and recovery is alot better. My gunsmith has talked me into trying the 6x284 and should be able to try it on some deer this year, if he ever finishes rebarreling my gun, he claims the 85 grain HPBT gameking at 3600 to 3800 fps will do the job on deer and he claims 1300 yard kills with it.

:icon_eek: That is very, very long range indeed. :yes:

Thanks for the info, intersting stuff,

Id say the shooting below in the link would be what you would be intersted in.:

http://www.thebestofthewest.net/longranges...forhunters.html

Enjoy,

Frank.