crow shooting

just got some new ground, just managed to knock off 7 on my first visit,, all young branchers on the nests, farmer said he not got the time or money to waste on shells shooting them, and said shoot as many as possible,, seems a little early so far for branchers yet but was atill quite happy to have 7, they only showed them selves on the edge of the nests when the older birds were flying over the wood,but was walking around the wood and there are nests in most of the trees, can hear the young ones calling out all the time, just wondering if anyone else have had much luck on branchers yet, going back this friday for another bash on them,advantage of using airrifle is of course keeping the noise to a mininum, but planning on havinga go in the hide as well soon with shotgun and decoying

just got some new ground, just managed to knock off 7 on my first visit,, all young branchers on the nests, farmer said he not got the time or money to waste on shells shooting them, and said shoot as many as possible,, seems a little early so far for branchers yet but was atill quite happy to have 7, they only showed them selves on the edge of the nests when the older birds were flying over the wood,but was walking around the wood and there are nests in most of the trees, can hear the young ones calling out all the time, just wondering if anyone else have had much luck on branchers yet, going back this friday for another bash on them,advantage of using airrifle is of course keeping the noise to a mininum, but planning on havinga go in the hide as well soon with shotgun and decoying

Might be a daft question but are the 'branchers' the ones you can eat? I remember watching something on TV a while back where someone went and shot some young crows then cooked them up and said they were delicious...

Might be a daft question but are the 'branchers' the ones you can eat? I remember watching something on TV a while back where someone went and shot some young crows then cooked them up and said they were delicious...

funny you say that,i got a dvd here called eating crow,its from america, i not had a chance to watch it as of yet, but going to watch it this week, well, a few peoplei know have said they eaten crow, young birds are said to be the best of course,i eat squirrel , pigeon, rabbits, and most hings, never thought about eating crow, anyone else on here know what crow is like?

I suppose if you got some from an area where they'd been reared on proper, natural food, they'd probably be OK.

Problem is, the crows around me are reared on discarded chips, ripped open bins, piles of spew that are left from stag & hen parties, :bad: and all sorts of other 'nice' food sources! :D

I suppose if you got some from an area where they'd been reared on proper, natural food, they'd probably be OK.

Problem is, the crows around me are reared on discarded chips, ripped open bins, piles of spew that are left from stag & hen parties, :bad: and all sorts of other 'nice' food sources! :D

lol, i know what you mean mate, same close to me, see crows in the pub car parks in the mornings along with the maggies, out these farms i shooting its all arable land and sheep, cattle,i give anything a try myself if its put in front of me,i feed crows to my ferrets, have done for the last 21 years, good supply of ferret food, , a few times i have had good numbers on crows up to 100 plus in a day, i keep a good load myself, and i tend to drop the rest in convenient places for any passing fox

Edited by wife

funny you say that,i got a dvd here called eating crow,its from america, i not had a chance to watch it as of yet, but going to watch it this week, well, a few peoplei know have said they eaten crow, young birds are said to be the best of course,i eat squirrel , pigeon, rabbits, and most hings, never thought about eating crow, anyone else on here know what crow is like?

Maybe they were the one's eaten on the TV but like others have said I would want ot make sure they had been eating natural food rather then kebab leftovers and sick...Let us know if you eat any of them and what they're like!

I had Rook pie when beating, they didn't tell me till after, it was delicous. 1st of May was always the tradional time to get them.

Try it. What have you got to lose but a bit of pastry and some veg. If you don't like it the dogs/ferrets will.

Cheers

Luke.