Extra High Velocity Hollowpoints

Hi has anyone used extra high velocity Hollowpionts in there 22 rimfire ? and are they any good? thanks guys atb moosedog

What are you thinking of using them for?

They aren't going to be the most accurate piece of lead on the market. .22lr is better subsonic for accuracy.

Subsonics are good for a hunded yards plus on rabbits..

Be interested to hear other opinions.. :hmm:

I tried them several times and did not get on too well, found them inconsistant.

(including a neighbouring land owner complaining about frightening her horses)

As Matty says subs are good for 100yrds and in my case I am regually pushing that to 120 yrds.

I actually ended up taking the to my local gunshop and disposing of 200 of them! (Maybe 350???)

CBW

Edited by cbw
Hi has anyone used extra high velocity Hollowpionts in there 22 rimfire ? and are they any good? thanks guys atb moosedog

as everyone else is saying i bought a couple of boxes just to try them. pushed the range out to 180 with them but at 100 yards i found them not as accurate. i was getting groups of about 2 to 3 inches whereas subsonics i can get within an inch and normally 1 hole groups. they are also affected greatly by wind>

Reason i was asking is that sometimes when Im out on the farm with the 22 rimfire I come across a Fox or two and Ive never took a shot with the Subsonics even though the Fox is only 50 so yards away i just dont think there up to it I thought I could keep a clip of these extra high velocity in my pocket and just switch clips. I understand that the bullet drop would be less on this ammo and could compensate for that with the mill dots But if you guys dont rate them Ill leave well alone and go out with the 223, Just like the little rimfire and always seem to have it with me around the farm and thought the xhv would have saved me a bit of time atb Cris

I want a quid every time this topic comes up, I can retire!

22LR with subsonics = not ideal fox tool. At 50 yards they're OK, stick one in Charlie's head. If you can find a fox that will get up from that, I will eat my hat.

223 is a much better tool for the job, as it's a mainstream fox round to 400 yards if you can shoot it, with the right conditions and ammo.

Regarding legality, unless your 223 is conditioned for vermin, or your 22LR for fox, you have potentially a sticky situation, so worth a phone call.

Thanks Logic They are never more than 50 yards away and i agree this topic comes up all the time but my original topic was has any one used Extra High volocity ammo so please dont blame me LOL atb

as stated by others have found them much less consistant then subs. They do seem to push the point of zero back a few yards eg if zeroed at 60yards becomes just over 80. My main problem with them is the noise they make which is far too much for the small amount of increased range and power you get out of them.

If you are gonna shoot foxes with them at close range i would have thought the better option is the more consistant groupings of the subs in 22rf but as stated best to stick to bigger calibers

atb

Thanks Logic They are never more than 50 yards away and i agree this topic comes up all the time but my original topic was has any one used Extra High volocity ammo so please dont blame me LOL atb

I wasn't :)

Subs are fine on Charlie, it's accuracy that counts with them, not power. Neither bullet is powerful enough to be considered more than marginal.