Remote Electric Dog Training Collars

Ian,

I use the Dogtra quite a bit and to be honest Tri-Tronics has a new collar I saw last weekend that is far and away better. A lot of competitive trainers use the Dogtra and it's a good collar, but this one is that much better imo. A couple people I know may be getting the new TriTronics. I much preferred the Innotek and Dogtra over the TriTronics for as long as I can remember but this was a nice unit. I prefer it over my $2000.00 Shecker Tele-Tek. Let me know if you want more info and I'll find out for you.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes......that's the one Ian. The thing about it is this. It has 6 levels but each button on the front is up a level for example on a 1 setting- the lower button is a one and the one above it is a 1.5 then the red is continuous. Then 2- bottom is a 2 then next up 2.5 then red continuous. Don't have to turn the dial if you need more stim but if you do, you can easily do it with your thumb or forefinger instead of a knob on top. The Dogtra knob on top isn't gaited so it spins freely and if you bump it accidentally it can jump up a few levels- the TriTronics feels more stable, the wheel is gaited and the multiple buttons is easy if you have a dog that is sensitive you can use a .5 level between settings after a setting of 1. The collar isn't big either. I don't believe (but could be wrong) the Dogtra's have 'tone'. The ones I've seen don't.

• 2 weeks later...

F.R you twisted my arm :D , I was dead set on a dogtra but I've weakened and just ordered a tri-tronics... :p

Tri-Tronics Sport 50s & 60s Dog Training Collars

Tri-Tronics' most innovative remote trainers combine the same receiver used by professionals with a new, smaller, more ergonomic transmitter. The small, lightweight receiver with adjustable receiver position fits any dog, and even without an external antenna, it boasts 1/2-mile range. A rotary dial adjusts intensity levels on the new compact transmitter.

I do believe you'll be pleased. It's solid gear and the levels lock in firmly on the wheel, the two buttons of stim per level is excellent. Let me know how it works for you. That Dogtra dial spins too freely and the level is never really the same so consistency is always poor imo.

Guest LEARNER

THROW THE BLOODY THINGS IN THE DUSTBIN, NEVER USED ONE , NEVER HAD TO, MY YOUNG DOG AT THIS PRESENT TIME, AS A PUP RAN TO EVERYONE OR DOG IT SEEN ,I DID NOT USE A ELECTRIC COLLAR, AND NOW MY LURCHER IS GETTING QUITE STEADY, GET THE DUSTBIN LID OFF.

Guest CharlieC

I agree with you for using them to train dogs Learner, I have never felt the urge to use them to train a dog, and I dont think I ever will, BUT, they are shit hot for teaching dogs not to bark, and I highly reccommend them for this purpose alone :good::good:

Most anti-bark collars are shite, but these ones do the trick :good:

I think for what Admin is going to be using it for, it is a really good idea, an adult dog with a few bad habits will be knocked into shape in no time with one of these, but I agree, raising a pup training it with natural reward methods is by far the best way :good:

I agree with you for using them to train dogs Learner, I have never felt the urge to use them to train a dog, and I dont think I ever will, BUT, they are shit hot for teaching dogs not to bark, and I highly reccommend them for this purpose alone :good:  :good:

Most anti-bark collars are shite, but these ones do the trick :good:

I think for what Admin is going to be using it for, it is a really good idea, an adult dog with a few bad habits will be knocked into shape in no time with one of these, but I agree, raising a pup training it with natural reward methods is by far the best way  :good:

Agree with you completely charlie... for barking and livestock chasing there a godsend but I wouldn't use one for training a pup or young dog, they are as you say good for bad habits..

Guest LEARNER

JUST CUT THIER BLOODY TONGUE, AND LEGS OFF, THAT WILL STOP THEM BARKING AND CHASING LIVE STOCK, ONLY JOKING, THE DAY I NEED A ELECTIC COLLAR, IS THE DAY I PACK LURCHERS UP, NOT JOKING.

Guest itallion stallion

learner ,

i have read your articles on here and you seem to be really good at training dogs.

in the post you said you would never use an electric collar to train a dog etc , which as charlie c says is right , but to stop barking she says they are ideal .

it is on this subject i would really like your help.

as i keep a lot of dogs ; lurchers , bullterriers etc , i have a few problems the first being feed time . even though i alter the time of feeding so as not to get into a set routine , they tend to kick off about 23 hrs from their last feed , and when i go down the kennels to feed them they go mental ; barking and jumping about etc and it seems that they are in a pack situation with one or two setting the rest off !!

once they are fed everthing seems fine but having neighbours close by i bought some antibark collars , although i must be truthfull i dont think they solve the problem , i think they only sort it as long as the collar is on but as soon as you take the collar off the problem soon reappears.

i know people say the cold water treatment which is fair enough if you only have one dog but what if you have a few ?

i would also really like your help on.

having two lurcher pups , when i am training each of them to retrieve etc the others seem to get jealous etc and start barking.

i would really value your opinion on these subjects and i hope you could please help me as the electric collars are costing me a fortune ! and as charlie c says they mark the dogs neck etc and this problem is doing my head in !!

many thanks !!!!!!!!!

Guest LEARNER

I,VE only just got in from work, and i,ve honestly been that busy ,i,ve not had much time to dwell on the problem, i wonder if you could tell me ,why you need so many dogs, and what hunting with them you do, now to me the art of training a dog, is train for prevention , rather than cure, and i wish i could see the problem for my self ,but thats not to be, RIGHT regarding the 2 young lurchers, you are now creating the same problem you have with kennel situation,, LISTEN to me now, PLEASE train the pups one at a time, take them out on thier own to be trained, LISTEN,you only work 2 or more dogs together when they are well train ,to encounter any situation that crops up, to take these pups is a disaster in the making, WHAT, i would do is at the moment concentrate on the pup that is the most pleasing and willing to learn, put every thing you have into this pup, THEN at less reguler outings take the less responsive pup out, and at the same time, keep the training short and sweet, do not rush this pup behond its boundrys , this is the only way ,you will reap any rewards, now i,m not going to tell you, how to train your pups, if you have problems there are more than enough members ,to help you on this site, has for the kennel situation, you have i,m afraid trained these dogs ,without knowing it , to react the way they do, again i,m not there to see first hand, but the first thing i would do ,is kennel the dogs who cause this fracas, away from the rest, then you will have to change your approach to try and calm them down, one word off advice i would give ,is sit for a time on your own ,to work out a plan off action, when you think you may have a answer, go at it with everything you can muster, when i set a trend for the character of the dog , i always keep going no matter what the pitfalls to succeed, if you kennel these dog like i say, you can start on the training ,of being calm, to do that you be calm, has for the electric collar treatment ,do not take my way off training as gospel, perhaps you may succeed this way off training , but remember ,like i,ve said to you, you have unknowingly trained them ,to react like they do, this is difficult, because the dogs have been trained to please you this way, to undo it may become a more ugly situation, also to try and train the dogs that are excited, i,ve said part them ,because it can be so easy to cower the other dogs who are steady, if in the same pen, i will finish by saying i have a friend in FORRES, SCOTLAND, who has trained his dog with a electric collar ,and he as told me ,that why the collars on the dog ,it will not bark when he go,s out, but if he forgets to put it on ,and he go,s out the dog gives the whole street a singing lesson, when he come home, he,s told me he only as to show the dog the collar through the window and it shuts up, HAS HE TRAINED THE DOG.