.22rf shotshells

Was wondering if anyone had any information on shotshells or cb caps in a .22rf. someone told me he used them for rats. are they any good,can they be used through a silencer,whats the spread like at about 10 yards,can they be used in a barn or are they bad for ricochets. thanks for any info.

.22 Shotshells do exist, I can't remember who makes them in all but I believe Winchester do :yes:

I remember seeing some listed here http://www.justcartridges.com

Generally used for the destruction of small vermin such as mice, normally at very close range under 10 yards, A Rat may be pushing it a bit.

I wouldn't risk shooting them through a moderator. The rifling in the barrel creates an "O" ring effect on the shot effectively with a middle circle missing.

The shot would be relatively safe for use in barns as long as you are very careful :yes:

CB caps I don't much about I'm afraid ;)

CCI do them as well but I haven't got a clue who sells them. If you can't find it under .22 shotshell, you mind look at "dust shot" which is another name it goes by.

I thought Fiocchi do them - I know they make the 9mm and I'm sure Iv'e seen an ad for them somewhere but can't remember where.

Are you shooting with rifle or have you got a .22 shotgun? If shotgun, what make?

Bob G

Was wondering if anyone had any information on shotshells or cb caps in a .22rf. someone told me he used them for rats. are they any good,can they be used through a silencer,whats the spread like at about 10 yards,can they be used in a barn or are they bad for ricochets. thanks for any info.

Shotshells won't do your rifling any good. Why not pick up a 2nd hand springer air rifle? Or even a legal air pistol? Sub 6 ft.lbf still lethal on rats in barns.

If you do a search on here for CCI .22 shotshells, you should find plenty. This subject has been covered quite comprehensively.

They are filled with about size 12 shot I think, and don't damage rifling. No moderator on though.

The two most available brands seem to be Federal and CCI. One has a crimped end, and the other has a transparent "bullet" full of shot.

Edited by Geoff.C

Don't buy too many!

I bought some of the crimped ones. Tiny wee bits of shot (12?) and as suggested previously, a strange hollow pattern through a rifle (Almost a perfect star shape at 4 yards).

Also, watch out, as the mouth of the cartridge expands in the chamber and often gets stuck. Just make sure you have a cleaning rod with you to get any jammed empties out.

I'm not sure the tiny shot would be enough to kill a rat over 5 yards away.

post-31059-1240943879.jpg

Edited by humperdingle

I use them, have ones by eley and cci. I wouldnt use them through a mod. My experience with them is that ten yards is the limit of their effectiveness, shooting any further just pisses the rat off. I always try to set my self up firing at about five yards away, but thats not always possible. And I tend to take the scope off and use the rifle like a shot gun.