Saluki standard poodle CROSS

Is there any value to this cross? I have heard of a potential mating and am wondering if there are any benefits?

Any experience?

(suspect f poodle m saluki weighting )

whats the value ? never heard of it just interested

I dont know if they would be any good for a lutcher x, but my sister had a S.P and it was agood guard dog, and it was fit and could run a bit as well. They are alot tougher than what they look. ;)

I'm pretty sure that the Poodle was originally bred as a Gundog, a retriever to be specific.

But that's so long ago that it might be well bred out of them at this stage anyway.

As a lurcher I don't think I'd entertain it though, what's the point in wasting a few years trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear?

Buy a Collie cross or Beddie/Whippet or something, as least you then have some idea of what your getting.

i used to have a poodle, who has such a charactor i'll never forget, sadly i had to re home to a friend of mine, as he got older he struggled to keep up on walking for 4 hours or more every day yet he hated being left on his own, so i re homed him to a disabled lady - very nice lady, where he was never left alone and had a dog walker come into walk him, plus he still gets a taste for hunting when out and one of the other dogs catches something! he will have a good tug lol never too old lol

poodles were used as gundogs in france and germany mainly to retrive waterfowl, they decended from a french water dog which is nealy extince and possibly the hungarian water hound, the name 'poodle' i friend told me comes from pudel which means one who plays in water, the dog has a thick woolen coat - similar to that of a bedlington, which when the dog is working is clipped to help swim but hair is left on joints to protect against the extreme cold and reeds, -of course the KC took this clip and exerated it for the show ring, yet another dog ruined for fashon,

the poodle is very intelligent, and incredably trainable, which lead to the dog performing in the circus, and new colours brought in i.e white then the KC introduced brown, apricot and silver, and idiots brought in these poor multi coloured misfotunes

the french wanted to use them as police dogs as they are to easy to train, i believe they are used in belgium for this though could be wrong, they are used as gundogs, guard dogs, herding around europe also in france they are used as a tracking dog to sniff out truffles which of course are worth a bit, in this country though there are a few workers including one i know in potters bar, they are mainly used for agility and flyball-like the border collie

these dogs come second to intelligence to the border collie, they have plenty of speed and even more stamina - like a little bedlington, they will go out in all weathers and do have a good bit of charactor, my dog would go to a buddy's house of mine and back their dobermann into the corner then get into the dobermanns bed and eat his bones!! size don't always matter lol

have YOU ever looked at a poodle with a proper clip so he looks like a dog instead of a bog brush, he has a long snout, large ears given his size, long neck, deep chest, legs are the same lenght as his back, good tough paws a strong tail - now you people makin immature jokes regarding this breed waht do most hunters want their lurcher to be, as above with stamina, potential tracking ability, thick coat -protect from cold and brambles, trainablity, intelligent and happy in all weathers what more could you want!!

with regards to crossing with a saluki i think perhaps a greyhound or whippet is better, simply because saluki's can be a tad aloof, do ya really want an aloof dog thats cleaver! i think not!! lol lol

i would suggest either whippet or greyhound, as you get the added speed and chasing instinct without the madness!

if the bedlington managed to become as popular as it has why not the poodle!!

only problem now is findig a good poodle bloodline line to start with, the KC has worked its charm on this breed to a point that your lucky if your dog hasn't got heart probs or blindness plus a heap more

however should anyone choose to breed this dog please let me knoe, i reckon it would be a bloody good worker

i think thats enough rambling now

happy hunting love lurcher lass x x