Here's an article I enjoyed about Spanish Alano's http://spanish-alano.com/cazarkg.htm I have just imported a few from a working kennel in spain (Via pet passport so I can take them abroad on hunting trips): http://www.alanosdelastinieblas.com/ . I havent actually had chance to hunt boar with them yet, though when they are a little more mature I will be keen to pop over to Spain to give it a go (3 are 10 months, 2 are 14 months. PM me if you are interested in pics.).

jon

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stopping and holding boars is not a matter of size or weight in dogs, it's a function of heart and technique. We use dogs down to 25kgs and they'll swing off whatever boar sticks its head up. There ar

there are two sets of pics, aren't there; shane's action pics are from NZ (southern cross is red not white) and not sure where Bull's haul of game were taken.....(not that we need exact location)?  

LOL get a grip theres a few lads that have been taking feral pigs with their dogs for a little while now,and there not getting smashed to pieces either.

Well Im no expert on the subject - but they are a catch dog type. Often (but not always) hounds will bay the boar + the alano's will come in and fight/pin the boar so that the hunter can dispatch with a knife. They do not cause excessive damage unless they have to - the emphesis is on doing just enough to restrain.. which makes sense considering the same dogs will be used to stop a rampaging bull - it makes no sense for the alano to cause excessive damage or kill the bull, they just tire out and divert the bulls attention to keep the workers safe when bulls freak out. They have awesome jaw strength, and naturally bite with a full grip yet posess the instincts to just grip and hold opposed to multiple bites like some bulldogs can be prone to do. They are very effective boar hunters + are often used side by side with dogo's in parts of Spain. They are capable of running all day long, then still find the reserves for extended sprints. They are very agile movers and amazing jumpers. They have a very confrontational aproach and will just run and strike the boar at the nearest strategic place without circling etc. I havent participated in an alano boar hunt yet, though I have been offered to go with a few friends who ocasionally hunt.

Jon

Very interesting Jon. Two different types of work you've described there and I must admit to liking the hunting style rather than the walked in scenario. Can you tell me what benefits the Alano has over the Dogo as you say they are sometimes both used to hunt the pigs? I've hunted with some pretty good dogs (none of them mine) and they've all been a jack of all trades type affair (except one and he was an excellent finder/bailer) finding and catching on their own. What sort of temperatures are these dogs running in when you say they run all day? What's their style of holding? By that I mean do they "fight" the boar which you alluded to in the above post? If so, do they get knocked up a lot? I imagine they would. Or do they lug up sensible like?

Apologies for all of the questions but it's all new to me.

I'd like to see the dog that could kill a scrub bull ;)

Very interesting Jon. Two different types of work you've described there and I must admit to liking the hunting style rather than the walked in scenario. Can you tell me what benefits the Alano has over the Dogo as you say they are sometimes both used to hunt the pigs? I've hunted with some pretty good dogs (none of them mine) and they've all been a jack of all trades type affair (except one and he was an excellent finder/bailer) finding and catching on their own. What sort of temperatures are these dogs running in when you say they run all day? What's their style of holding? By that I mean do they "fight" the boar which you alluded to in the above post? If so, do they get knocked up a lot? I imagine they would. Or do they lug up sensible like?

Apologies for all of the questions but it's all new to me.

I'd like to see the dog that could kill a scrub bull ;)

No problem about the multiple questions - I just hope I can answer them sufficiently. I will try to answer you questions to the best of my knowledge. (For a more educated response I can put you in contact with a friend who is one of the foremost experts on the subject if you like) :

Temperatures - From absurd freezing temps (Spanish mountains) to extreme heat and humidity, im not sure about exact temps. Its impressive stuff as the traditional Spanish way is for the hunter to ride a horse + the alano's cover serious distances. Allot of hunts take place at night by moonlight whilst the boar are active (and the dogs/hunters/horses don't suffer the full heat of the day), though some do hunt by day + the alano often does bull work on unruly bulls in the heat of the day.

diff between alano / dogo: The dogo is a better tracker, and the alano is more agile/athletic. Both are incredibly rugged / comparable size (working Dogo's) / stoic / rugged etc.

Holding: Yes they "fight" the boar and yes they do get banged up frequently, but what you have to bare in mind is that they (and the dogo) are much more rugged than conventional dog breeds & alano's have a significantly quicker healing time. They aren't the type of dog that will carefully pick a bite - they go straight in there in what some on this forum would consider a dumb fashion without concern for their own safety, but one has to bare in mind just how effective they are at what they do & they have their approaches for good reasons. The hunters will usually just stitch the dogs up in the field if they incur a serious injury. I have heard some incredible hunting stories from people who have worked with + they are seriously tough dogs. Usually the hunter kills the boar opposed to the dogs to avoid unnecessary suffering. The hunter gets right in there and makes a deep throat cut / the dogs restrain the boar until it dies. Naturally the hunters throw the dogs a few small butchered pieces for their work.

jon

• Like 1

Cheers for that Jon.

To be honest I don't like the idea of a dog "fighting" a boar one little bit. That's how you end up with a dead dog double quick time. No matter how tough the dog, it's going to meet a boar that'll kill it...just ask Dogoman over on his board. He had one of his best dogos (130lb if I remember rightly) killed by a boar. I like a dog with the sense to lug up the side and stay out of the way, that way you can hunt on without having to tend a knocked up dog. Obviously situations are not always this perfect, but I've found that dogs that stand and fight tend not to last long. That's always been the argument against heavily pit influence dogs over in Australia. I know a bloke that has to keep a drip hanging from his rear view mirror because his dog insists on fighting.

I'm interested to know how the Alano has a "significantly quicker healing time" than conventional dog breeds? That's something I've never heard before. Sounds interesting though. Can you elaborate?

I've never seen a dog kill an adult pig (although I have heard stories), so I did assume the pigs were stuck by the hunter.

What sort of weights/heights do these Alanos get to?

You mention the Dogo is a better tracker. I take it that means it's got a better nose? Were the Dogos brought in for this specific purpose do you know? Any ideas of the hounds used? How common are the Alanos in the hunting field? If the Dogos were brought in, can you ever see the day that they take over the role of the Alano? Or do the two have separate enough characteristics to be able to survive independent of one another?

Again, apologies for all the questions.

I remember seeing an Alano for sale in the back of the Gamedog magazine years ago. I think that one came from Germany.

Seriously mate, I don't think that pic's going to do you any favours

Youre probably right (Sincere apologies if you find it distasteful) - I get desensitised, I look at that pic and see impressive dogs, not the boar thats about to be dispatched. Though as rough as it may first seem its a reality of what actually happens. IMO as long as the hunter is respectful and dispatches it quickly then it is infinately more respectable than some poor battery chicken beheaded in a factory machine - the boar has had a wonderful life + is dispatched in the most effective and humane way possible. Its all about respect for animals quality of life.

kindest regards,

Jon

Just found this great photo in my photobucket - the tan dog is Curro, sire to my stud dog:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hunterken...dnm=17ebre2.jpg

jon

:blink: Can i ask what do you find so great about four big dogs hanging on a small boars head? :unsure:

Of course, Its actually 3 dogs and a puppy & its only the adults holding. Its not the fact that they are biting, its the total controll that they have over the boars movement. This is a typical situation, it alows the hunter to come in with a degree of safety. As to the size of the boar, he looks about 200lb + I agree he's not the biggest - they can controll huge boar, though its dangerous business and its not easy to photograph. Apologies if you find the image shocking, in retrospect I should have placed a warning. By saying its a great picture I am refering to the fact that is really shows off the alano's technique - I was refering to the conversation we were having about the alano's aproach. I still find it to be a good picture - it must have been incredibly difficult to take.

kindest regards,

jonathan

Why four dogs on what is only a little pig though Jon? That's what I object to.

I've seen dogs on pigs and that's not a great picture at all. Pig hunting does not need that kind of publicity one little bit.

I think in cases where human intervention is needed to despatch the quarry, then stopping to take a photo while four boof headed dogs hang off a young pig isn't effective or humane and can only be detrimental to the hunting scene.

Of course, Its actually 3 dogs and a puppy & its only the adults holding. Its not the fact that they are biting, its the total controll that they have over the boars movement. This is a typical situation, it alows the hunter to come in with a degree of safety. As to the size of the boar, he looks about 200lb + I agree he's not the biggest - they can controll huge boar, though its dangerous business and its not easy to photograph. Apologies if you find the image shocking, in retrospect I should have placed a warning. By saying its a great picture I am refering to the fact that is really shows off the alano's technique - I was refering to the conversation we were having about the alano's aproach. I still find it to be a good picture - it must have been incredibly difficult to take.

kindest regards,

jonathan

How do you gauge the boar to be 200lb Jon? Looks like a small one to me.

I dont' think anyone finds the image shocking mate. It's the overkill that we object to. You don't need 3 dogs and a puppy to hold a little pig. I take on board all you have to say about the Alano but as an advert for the breed that picture doesn't do it any favours at all.

The first boar I had to tackle myself must have run at about 180lb and that was kept still by one dog long enough for me to go in and grab its hind legs. Job done. No need for that shenanigans.

Just to clarify, you arent looking at a cruel baiting sport - the dogs are bred purely to hold + the hunter swiftly dispatches the boar. It isnt done just for sport either - the dogs catch the boar for the cattle workers whils they are with the cattle for several months at a time - its a valuable food source and the hunters are very respectful. Where as many breeds savage, the alano does the bare minimum (usually a single holding bite) + when the boar relaxes, they relax - exactly the same way they controll the cattle. They often use 2 or 3 dogs to reduce risk of injury to the dogs, as this is a way of life and not just a sport they are very practical and focus on the safest methods.

kindest regards,

Jonathan

Holding: Yes they "fight" the boar and yes they do get banged up frequently,

That doesn't quite tie up with

Where as many breeds savage, the alano does the bare minimum (usually a single holding bite) + when the boar relaxes, they relax

Sorry mate, I'm not trying to get at you here and I hope you aren't taking this personally.