46 minutes ago, jetro said:

What book is this east coast.

Atb j 

The Working Terrier Yearbook 1978.

Some people may find the image unacceptable but it  is a drawing not a photograph. Maybe some artistic licence came into play and the artist was not from the UK for sure. I am not condoning bull baiting. Working dogs do different jobs from decade to decade and differ around the globe.

The closest thing that I have seen to this was a lowly collie type dog doing his job when parking up on some permission. Two young but fully grown bulls (can't remember the breed) in the same field properly went for it. The farmer appeared with a collie dog and observered for a while before sending his dog in. That scraggy mut launched himself between the bulls. Got flipped, avoided kicks, came back, got flipped, came back. Used his voice and his mouth and ended up controlling those 2 massive and, in the mood that they were in at the time, very aggressive animals. He separated and them with no damage done and they ran off to  opposite ends of the field and calmed down. Now that's a bulldog ?

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive a real soft spot for this fella, my little 18 month old house dog, he's not much bigger than some patterdales, 15"ats and barely 29lb, keeps himself in decent order, loves to run the hills , wreck

A couple I owned over the years,...... Pups off of TLs Shadow,..... The red dog, was one decent dog too

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

The Working Terrier Yearbook 1978.

Some people may find the image unacceptable but it  is a drawing not a photograph. Maybe some artistic licence came into play and the artist was not from the UK for sure. I am not condoning bull baiting. Working dogs do different jobs from decade to decade and differ around the globe.

The closest thing that I have seen to this was a lowly collie type dog doing his job when parking up on some permission. Two young but fully grown bulls (can't remember the breed) in the same field properly went for it. The farmer appeared with a collie dog and observered for a while before sending his dog in. That scraggy mut launched himself between the bulls. Got flipped, avoided kicks, came back, got flipped, came back. Used his voice and his mouth and ended up controlling those 2 massive and, in the mood that they were in at the time, very aggressive animals. He separated and them with no damage done and they ran off to  opposite ends of the field and calmed down. Now that's a bulldog ?

You have to admire them working collies, acds and kelpies. 

Takes some dog to go between nearly two ton of pent up beef, hooves flying everywhere and heads trashing about, then to separate and send each on their way.

Great courage and determination. 

Atb j 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mango said:

A drawing my daughter knocked up last night in a couple of hours.

BB6EE8F3-319D-45CA-9DFC-35FEE84CAC3A.jpeg

Sir Edwin Landseer was once asked the secret of his animal paintings. He replied that he gives them human eyes. Not sure if I agree with that, and he was possibly doing himself a dis-service. Possibly capturing the character and soul of the animal in it's eyes would have been a more accurate explanation.  Landseer had that talent and so does your daughter. A talent to be encouraged.

Edited by eastcoast
spelling
  • Like 4
  • 1 month later...