On 08/08/2019 at 22:46, YOKEL said:

Snickersnee...skippers son wasn't it? And yeah, the fella had always looked old! I last saw him early noughties and he weren't looking too sharp then! Funny ol' fella...

Yokel

Im not sure how the dog was bred mate all i remember was it wanted to tear my limbs off ?

Yes he was a strange sort of chap,seemed to be in the right place at the right time business wise...i always think it was the accent that drew people in he was good to listen to even once you worked out he didnt really know much more than you did ?

I still say to this day he didnt really know what he had with those early dogs.

• Like 2

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive a real soft spot for this fella, my little 18 month old house dog, he's not much bigger than some patterdales, 15"ats and barely 29lb, keeps himself in decent order, loves to run the hills , wreck

A couple I owned over the years,...... Pups off of TLs Shadow,..... The red dog, was one decent dog too

Posted Images

2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Im not sure how the dog was bred mate all i remember was it wanted to tear my limbs off ?

Yes he was a strange sort of chap,seemed to be in the right place at the right time business wise...i always think it was the accent that drew people in he was good to listen to even once you worked out he didnt really know much more than you did ?

He dropped on a great line of dogs by chance really, great story behind it and the rest is history. 

11 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

When i said he didnt realise what he had i was referring to the Capone dog not the Skipper dogs.

Got you, but like I said he dropped on with the Skipper dogs and the rest is history. Yes he peddled dogs and made a lot of money doing so but I think he had good intentions regarding the breed. 

Edited by Jobi
3 minutes ago, Jobi said:

Got you, but like I said he dropped on with the Skipper dogs and the rest is history. Yes he peddled dogs and made a lot of money doing so but I think he had good intentions regarding the breed. 

He had a seriously well bred dog in Capone but because it didnt have winning dogs behind it went on to what was realistically far inferior bred dogs.

But yes i agree his intentions for the breed regards all the leather stuff,books etc was good....and he defended the breed publicly via the media etc.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Boss-Hog said:

ed was just puppy pedler 

Yep and so were many other big names, not in the same league as Garner though. Anyway it's not Reid that deserves the credit, it's the lads that proved his dogs worth that deserve it. It must be more than coincidence that Reid ended up getting the Kingfish dogs instead of going for the big names of the times. 

47 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Its certainly no coincidence how he ended up getting Skipper back after he got nicked ?....and no coincidence that the dog never had a scratch on him either.

Yep I heard the dog thief regretted what he did and sent him back wrapped  in cotton wool ?. I also heard he made a story up that Skipper quit whilst he had him. I think he made that story up to save face and hide the fact he sent him back because he was shit scared about what was in store for him. 

Edited by Jobi
On 14/08/2019 at 12:00, gnasher16 said:

Snicker was a big ol' brindle dog wasn't he? 

Old ed certainly lined his pockets nice out of them dogs, it was in part thanks to those who got their boots dirty and done the work with them. I concur wholeheartedly re: the early stuff breeding wise, far better dogs. Capone was pretty much solid Tudor wasn't he? And he had some nice wise max stuff. I think once the max (Scotsman) dog along with dread, Billy etc made a name for themselves the skipper stuff found favour and he punted it out a plenty....

Yokel

48 minutes ago, YOKEL said:

Snicker was a big ol' brindle dog wasn't he? 

Old ed certainly lined his pockets nice out of them dogs, it was in part thanks to those who got their boots dirty and done the work with them. I concur wholeheartedly re: the early stuff breeding wise, far better dogs. Capone was pretty much solid Tudor wasn't he? And he had some nice wise max stuff. I think once the max (Scotsman) dog along with dread, Billy etc made a name for themselves the skipper stuff found favour and he punted it out a plenty....

Yokel

I think it was the Wise blood that clicked with Skipper that set them on fire, i read that Boudreaux added Wise blood to his Eli dogs. Old Ed might have been more shrewd than a lot give him credit for.