patterdales in ireland

Some very good dogs about back then same as there is now.The late ML from Co.Meath had a very good border dog[HARRY] that new his job and as smasher said,could go up through the gears when needed.I seen another very good patterdale belonging to GE a dog called 1 eyed bob,had some myself that stood out from the rest,1 was a little black dog called TOD,another was a black rough haired dog RIP and a bullxrussell called SPOT and thats going back a good few years.N.Cooney had a very good black bitch PIP and a dog called POKER,could be here half the night naming terriers,lol great to think back about them and the amount of work they done.

• Like 7

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jack

Some of false peds dogs

Some of our stock

Posted Images

Sam was out of a border dog called Dandy and a smooth black bitch called Brandy.

Dandy was Ray Walker's breeding and believe me was a very good terrier.

Brandy, I think, was of RRs breeding from the North. I had a daughter of hers who was good and hard but died young.

Sam was bred by P.M. in Dublin.

His blood graced many's a good kennel.

I'm a bit embarrassed, Sam was bred up North by Billy C. who happens to be a good friend of mine.

Billy sent Sam down to Pete in Dublin who then gave him to Macker.

Macker then either sold or gave Sam to those who made the dogs name as a stud.

I cant for the life of me understand how a dog with such a reputation passes through so many hands
Apparently the dog in his younger years and when up North was nothing special. Could have something to do with it, there's lads on here seen the dog at that time and would be better suited to give you an answer. Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

Billy who bred Sam has been known to part with several good terriers over the years.

Pete got Sam and gave it to Macker who dug with Pete anyway so he was still in the same camp ,so to speak.

Macker at the time was fairly young and the way it was told to me was that Macker was more or less bullied into parting with Sam.

Some of Sams offspring made it to the states around the same time that the Kennel Club over there were recognising the so called Patterdale terrier and I've always wondered how many American registered Patterdales are in fact Border crosses.

At the same time that Pete had Sam he also had a great bitch called Cindy who I think was closely related to Sam. She was a rough coated bitch who looked more like a dog than a bitch. She was real nice.

I had the chance to buy her for £80 and didn't.

She was bought by another Dub who sold her onto a man from Cavan who when he was paying for Cindy admitted that he often puts 5 or 6 terriers to ground at the same time.

What a waste.

Have often read that Sam was one of the best terriers ever to have been worked on Irish soil.

What was it that made him stand out above the rest?

Be good to hear from lads that seen the dog work

That's a very bold statement to come out with lol...... Johnny Bluck springs to mind.....a hell of a lot of good men working dogs up and down this country and there not all black in colour.... was great to see so many good strong strapping black/ white and blk& tan dogs at the Westmeath show last week and just shows Ireland has still top class old lines dotted throughout the entire country....with men who still work them hard.... John Parks told me on the sunday night he hadn't seen terriers or terrier classes so big since the early 90s lol.... I think there was 41 dogs in the fell/patt class, 32 in the bitch class, and 37 in the white/ Russell dog class and 25 in the Russell bitch took him nearly an hour to do each class....and id say 95% of them terriers be worked throughout the winter.

• Like 2

Great thread going, love to hear about the Way terriers were bred and the influences upon them and their characteristics, some by chance and some by ..hey, would love to meet up with the southern "brigade" and those working their pats, are you men who frequent the shows and enjoy a pint?

Tex was a top class dog off Drs black dog unfortunately I don't think the dog ever produced anything near as good as him when bred off seen the dog dug on many occasion and he's a dog I would of kennelled with no hesitation

The bitchs put too him probably weren't good enough the lad the owned tex said he produced very lit

MAYBE IM GETTING MIXED UP BUT WAS TEX OWNED BY NM?WHO IM LED TO BELIEVE WENT TO ENGLAND TO DO PRO TERRIERMAN TO A HUNT? IF ITS THE SAME LAD AND DOG IN QUESTION I HAVE A GOOD FRIEND THAT USED THIS PARTICULAR DOG OVER A SUPER BITCH THAT I HAD THE PLEASURE TO DIG OVER BUT PRODUCED NOTHING WORTH TALKING ABOUT

• Like 1