patterdales in ireland

Good mate of mine had a wheaten of pk years ago, it was some animal. Was in his yard and saw all the dogs eating a whole cow that had been dropped in his yard.

Thats how he fed them,just skin the animal and walk away.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jack

Some of false peds dogs

Some of our stock

Posted Images

Was talking to jy and he said he brought in his first fell type in 1972

1st fell type i seen in JY yard was a red dog,forget his name but it was the 1st of that type i ever seen him with,was always russell types before that and that was around 1980-81.

Which of the fell/patterdale breeds has had the biggest infuence on the terriers we have and work today would it be nuttalls,goulds,parks,booths or AC's a lot that line has come on the scene in the last 4 r 5 year.

Personally in Ireland I think it's been a local thing.

The Cork boys have always been too stubborn to leave their white terriers so we can't talk about the biggest Fell influences down there.

Come up the country a bit and there was one man in particular who had some very good Gould breeding about him and in return this blood sorted out a lot of men in that part of the country.

Then up the country a bit more TP flooded the terrier scene in the last 20 years or so with the Nigger blood he got his hands on and this sorted out a lot of lads in the East and Midlands with some very good blood. For those who kept it right anyways.

Then from the Midlands to the West and Northwest the terriers with Park, Roberts and similar breeding seems very popular with lads and then in the North of course there's been lads who got their terriers many moons ago off the best in England and Wales.

In the North IMO Nuttall, Gould, Blackledge and Parks has played a big part in filling good kennels.

Of course nowadays there's a little bit of blood here there and every where but going back 20 to 30 years ago that's the way I seen it.

Naturally, them stubborn Cork boys still have their white monsters, LOL.

• Like 3

Good post neil,would you agree that mixing these lines has brought about better working terriers or does it make more sense to stay within the same lines. Im sure over the last 20 odd year or so lads have experimented by breeding one these line of dogs in to what they already have.

Don't think tp flooded the scene with to much nigger blood as you don't here that much about that blood.you only really here about one dog in particular

Believe me several years ago the blood of that particular dog was very common.

Niggers breeding was nothing to do with his last owner but he sure put it out there.

Good post neil,would you agree that mixing these lines has brought about better working terriers or does it make more sense to stay within the same lines. Im sure over the last 20 odd year or so lads have experimented by breeding one these line of dogs in to what they already have.

I wouldn't know Chesney. Back then I used to see plenty of different terriers of different lines working every season.

Nowadays I tend to see only 2 or 3 different families of terriers working all season and I have a couple of good friends who although I don't dig with them they keep different breeding altogether and they're very happy with their's too.